The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Transmition Removal  (Read 7431 times)

Offline BMIC

Transmition Removal
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:20:21 AM »
After a great week of a post build shake down rides I heard a pronounced snap in the transmission and now get a loud rattle in 1st gear only.
Still runs strong and shifts smoothly but needless to say the transmission needs to come out and be rebuilt.
Here comes the age old question, take off the grill and fenders and pull the engine/tranny/transfer or remove the tub?
Or as my wife suggests, close the garage door and leave it for a few weeks, your to frustrated to work on it right now....
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline dat

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Transmition Removal
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
I crawled under and took mine out from the bottom, didn't take long but had to lay on a creeper
1950 cj3a, she was a swimmer and wears rust well

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:51:28 AM »
That's a bummer.  Sorry to hear that.

I'm at this stage right now.  If I were after the clutch, I may choose to pull the engine.

If I'm after the transmission, I would pull the drive train from below, and leave the engine alone.  The drive train has to be removed and disassembled anyway.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
Boy that is discouraging to hear. Might be worth pulling the shift tower off to have a look inside the tranny first. Maybe by some miracle it's a problem that can be fixed without have to pull the whole thing out.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Mike S

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 04:07:26 PM »
IF YOU PULL IT FROM UNDER THE JEEP, BE SURE TO PUT A JACK UNDER THE REAR OF THE ENGINE FIRST.

If it were me, I think I'd pull the whole drive train� since it is not certain exactly what broke.

PS: You need to stop doing wheelies!
Life is short
Quit your job
Turn off the TV
Go outside and play

Offline BMIC

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »
New clutch, I could not resist...
Thanks for the advice gents, I will be dropping the Transmission/Transfer this weekend (after supporting the engine Mike S), I'll take some pictures of what broke.

Offline BMIC

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »
PS... along with the good advice from my friends on this page there is always a PM for parts etc.... Thanks Ryan M for offering a whole T-90.

Offline BMIC

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:34 AM »
I was able to drop both the transmission and transfer case from under the jeep fairly smoothly on Saturday morning. I pulled the shift tower and saw the bad news  right off. Two chipped teeth on the 1st gear and after draining the oil found 7 roller bearings at the bottom.
Not sure why the bearings came out but I am bringing the transmission to an antique auto restoration shop this morning to have it rebuilt.
One surprise was the condition of the oil, one side (clean) is what came out of the transfer case and the dirty came out of the transmission. It was over 2 years ago that I flushed (I thought I did) the old oil and replaced it with GL-1. Clearly I missed something in the process and it will be an expensive lesson.

Offline Ryan_M

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 06:56:25 AM »
OUCH! Expense aside, at least you know where the problem lies now. I'm curious - were the roller bearings rattling around in there before you disassembled everything or do you think they fell out when you removed the transfer case? It's easy to dislodge them if you're messing around back there with the shift tower off and the mainshaft not tied down. What's the ETA on the rebuild? Will you be back on the road this summer or are you out for the season now?
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline bretto

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 07:26:56 AM »
Yikes.  Was this tranny ever opened by you ("post build") before the shake down ride?  I would have to think either it never was or maybe when you rebuilt it, one or more of the 14 roller bearings got out of place.  Those input and output shafts might be toast if the bearing surfaces got scored.
The difference in the oils means there is no open passage between the two boxes.

Offline Jeff_M

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »
Tough luck.  You'd just reached the point where you could drive around a bit and now this setback.  This is the main reason I don't own an old Jeep, or any other old vehicle for that matter.  You see, I can always drive you-know-who's.   ;)  The first time I drive the 3A this year I'll have the satisfaction of knowing it has a new water pump among other things--and the M has had an all new frame-----and I didn't have to do any work. 

Good luck with you trans rebuild, and of course if you get back on the road I'm, er, only four miles away.....

Offline BMIC

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
The first drive I took when buying the jeep 5 years ago indicated that the transmission was strong and other than new seals and a oil change I could move on to more pressing issues which were many. When I took the first real drives in it about 3 weeks ago all seemed good. I was talking to Ryan M and saying that I  was thrilled so far as 2 or 3 mile runs had produced only fuel gauge and speedometer issues. On one drive I herd a bang in the transmission follower by a rattleing. Obviously it was the bearing retainer (?) letting go and the rattling was the roller bearings.
At this point I would not like to spend the summer rebuilding and installing the transmission so I will send it out to be professionally done, and bypass my ability factor as well.
Seems after a long rebuild I just want to enjoy it now, the thoughts of making a mistake rebuilding the transmission and pulling it all out again will kill what should be a fun summer.
Given the oil issues I am anxious to find out if the transmission to transfer case passage was blocked as well.

Offline BMIC

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 08:02:40 AM »
Jeff M... Oddly enough the engine block that sat in your garage all those years preforms the best.

Offline corpsman

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
glad you found the problem.  man, when you decide you're going to do something, you're fast!  I probably would have suggested pulling the tub, but sounds like it went pretty smoothly just dropping the transmission.  glad to hear.  good luck!
1950 cj-3a (currently under full restoration)

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 11:43:31 AM »
Ryan's question is my question...

It would be hard to lose those roller bearings from the bore if everything was all buttoned up.  How many total bearings did you find?  Just wondering if "extras" were left behind at some point, or as Bretto mentions...During the assembly process on a rebuild, it's fairly easy to lose a few bearings without realizing it.  Especially if you're fighting the output shaft past the cluster gear.  Ask me how I know this. :-[

I wonder if you have the old style cases that didn't allow a flow of oil between the TC and Tranny.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A