The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Transfer Case very noisy in low range....  (Read 123 times)

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Transfer Case very noisy in low range....
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:07:56 PM »
It's an early stock CJ-5, 6 volt, F-head, T-90 and the D-18 with an inch and 1/4 intermediate shaft, and an overdrive. Just like a 3B but with a different body...

It's surprisingly quiet in all gears, both 2WD and 4WD. Shifts smooth with no grinding. Never been rebuilt.  Shows about 47K miles on the odometer, which still works.

But put it in low range, 4WD, hubs free, and it starts to get noisy, But no noise that may be a broken tooth. I know the low range gears are straight-cut so some noise is expected.

As you might expect the noise rises in intensity on acceleration and decreases when off the gas, doesn't really change otherwise, doesn't go away when coasting even. Of course we are talking maybe 10 mph in third, low range. By then it's quite a howl. You can almost feel it. It's been like this for a long time.

I've looked at the line drawings of the D-18 and can't figure just what is coming under load for this noise to appear only in Low Range, and quiet in 2WD and 4WD High Range.
 I used to drive this jeep around the ranch when I was a kid, mostly in low range because I liked the gear noise!

Now I'm not so fond of it.

I'm  planning to take the bottom cover off and have a look, and if need be I'll rebuild it when I replace the clutch this winter.

Maybe just worn square cut gears? What else to look for?

Maybe the intermediate shaft? But it's quiet otherwise, quieter than the 3A which has been rebuilt.

Thanks!

Randy
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:23:46 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Case very noisy in low range....
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 06:47:39 PM »
I put the rear axle on jack stands, and went through the gears in 4WD ( hubs free!) both high range and low, and no appreciable noise.  I then left it idling in gear and used a mechanic's stethoscope and checked the transfer case and transmission, once again just a consistent mechanical whirring noise, no clicking or growling bearings as far as I could tell. Even put the stethoscope on the intermediate shaft end and no unusual noises there either.

Of course nothing was under load. 

So when I get a pump so I can refill the transfer case, I may drain it and take the cover off and see if anything falls out.

Or I'll just leave it alone.

Maybe this is just as normal as can be.....never got to drive the 3a before everything was rebuilt, maybe it would have been the same....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »
Randy,
I've not heard a lot of different gearboxes.  I can't even remember what mine sounds like at speed (it's been a while).  That being said, I wonder how much difference there'd really be between the gears in a 3A and an early 5.  I could talk myself into thinking there shouldn't be too much difference (noise-wise).  I did think that during your rear axle off the ground test that a load could be added by feathering the brakes to add drag while spinning.  Don't know if you tried that or not.

Looking inside may be the best thing (after looking at the lube - as you suggested).  I owe my transfer case a look too as I've got to solve a mystery as well.

You may consider posting a video of the noise (if you aren't already beyond that point) and some images of what you see inside.  After using the stethoscope, have you felt the shifters while driving to see if one or the other has more vibration?  I'd be curious, while driving under load causing the noise, if you put some pressure on the shifters (one at a time) both forward and backward - keeping it in gear - to see if the "feel" changes any.

There are guys that can rebuild these things in their sleep.  Sadly, I'm not one of those....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 02:04:34 PM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:36:41 PM »
Rus,

A video might be interesting. I have an old GoPro that ought to do the trick.

I have the skid plate off and I'm ready to take the cover off, but maybe I'll back track a little and get some video/sound.

I did try the e-brake while it was on the jack stands, the e brake made no difference, didn't think to use the pedal, it would be more effective I'm sure!

I'll also wiggle the sticks and see what I feel or hear.

Randy

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 12:08:22 AM »
Yes, the wheel brakes.  I should have specified.  Hope this shows something.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline OnlyOneDR

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Just Started Playing With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 08:24:17 AM »
If you leave it in 2wd, lock the hubs, and drive it does it make any noise?  Just wondering if the front driveline has anything to do with it.  You are sure that the t-case has enough fluid in it?  It could just be that the intermediate shaft/bearings are worn and since the load is a lot higher on those gears when in low range that it makes more noise.  Might be overdue for a rebuild with a replacement shaft and bearings.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
I did check the fluids, everything is full.

I did not drive it in 2WD with the hubs locked, but I did drive it in 4WD with the hubs free....I'll try it in 2WD....

I made a short video but it did not capture the noise very well. I'll try again, I don't have a remote microphone and I'm holding the camera and trying to drive safely!

Might just order an intermediate shaft kit and replace it while still in the jeep......I've got to do a clutch pretty soon too.

I know, just pull it, rebuild it and do the clutch...nothing to it :)

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »
Here is the video link.

https://youtu.be/cn7QNQf9_NA

I think the noise is apparent.....first 20 seconds or so are of relatively quiet high range, and the remainder is in low, it's really loud when I coast with the clutch depressed.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 09:48:03 PM »
I heard it.  A whine almost.  I didn't know you also had an overdrive.  Was it my imagination or when you shifted to low, the two knobs touched?  I don't have an overdrive so I'm not that familiar with them.  Have you shifted the OD to the other position to see if the noise is still present?

Also, is the noise always there during your drives or only when you coast and depress the clutch?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 10:09:24 PM »
With the overdrive in there the knobs and levers get pretty crowded. I've bent the OD lever for clearance but it's not perfect.

The noise is present only in low range, and coasting or under power does not matter, you can just hear it better while coasting. It's very consistent and it gets louder the faster you go, all in low range, OD direct.

The first couple of video's I tried it was like "Where is the noise?"

My transmission is surprisingly quiet, quieter than the rebuilt 3a, maybe it's just the contrast between high and low that bugs me.

I may order a intermediate shaft kit.

Anyone tried the Novak, with the "O" rings? Seems to me I tried the "O" ring version on the 3a and the "O" rings kept getting shaved down as you pushed the shaft through. Occasionally they would peel right off the shaft and get involved it the roller bearings....I had the intermediate gear out 3 or 4 times chasing a high pitched whine.

Offline OnlyOneDR

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Just Started Playing With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »
After listening to the video that actually doesn't sound bad to me.  I will need to defer to the experts on here.  My Nissan with 4:1 transfer case gears whines like that whenever I get going maybe 8-10mph and just gets worse as it goes faster.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig