The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Rear Seat Questions  (Read 5669 times)

Offline Doug_3B

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
Rear Seat Questions
« on: November 27, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »
A year or two ago I picked up an aftermarket rear seat locally for my 3B.  Not sure where it originated.  I bought the rear seat spring clips from Walck's.

The other day, I went to install it.  My first observation is that I thought the spring clips would hold the seat in place a little tighter.  It stays in place, but the slightest upward pressure and the seat pops out of the clips.  Seems like it will pop right out if no one is sitting in it and I'm bouncing over some dirt roads.  Is that to be expected or is something else wrong?

Additionally, I find that the seat sits too far back. It won't fit in place unless the tailgate is down/removed.  Not a huge deal to cut the welds holding the seat frame to the mounting brackets, move it forward, and re-weld, but I wanted to ask the question before I went ahead and did that.  Is this normal with the current aftermarket seats?  The tub is all original off a 53 CJ3B.  Thanks!

-Doug
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T90C/D18, OD, D27/44, alternator
1991 YJ - 4.0, AX-15, D-30 front, Ford 8.8 rear, 4-inch lift

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Seat Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:27:06 PM »
Wow, Doug!

First time (that I can recall) I've seen an aftermarket up close.  Thanks for posting those rear legs. 

My seat is the CJ2A #2 style seen here:
http://cj3b.info/RearSeat.html

In that article, there's actually some good images (follow the links - they take you to some more good images for comparison).  One shows where the transition from bottom frame bends up to the backrest frame.  You can see there about where it is welded.  My frame measures (crudely from a yard stick) from the outside edge of the front leg back about 8"-8.25" where the bend begins.  I can  get better measurements but will take a while.

Here's an image I took a while back for a jeep owner who had those rear leg "pegs" missing.  You may be able to build up the material but as is, it seems a bit fragile.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Chuck W.

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 11:15:35 PM »
Walck's offers reproductions for the rear seat leg lock: https://walcks4wd.com/leg-lock-rear-seat-cj2a-cj3a-cj3b-dj3a-station-wagon.html
Looks a bit more robust that the one in your photo.
1964 CJ3B  "Wilson-Wilson"
1952 M38 w/M100 trailer
1966 M274A2

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
This is good news!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Chuck W.

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
They are a bit pricey at $28. each!
I found this photo on the CJ3B page http://www.cj3b.info/RearSeat.html that shows that the leg should be more vertical that your reproduction. Would raise the seat back and stop it from hitting the tailgate. 

This is interesting as I need a rear seat for my '64 project and had thought about one of the reproduction seat frames. I think I will look for an original one now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:41:08 AM by Chuck W. »
1952 M38 w/M100 trailer
1966 M274A2

Offline SteveKfl

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 01:22:03 PM »
IMO ... as Chuck said "more vertical"... and it "looks longer" too to me, which would push the back forward.  Chuck's pic example appears to follow Russ's measurement on "frame to mount placement", further forward on the frame, (how I would make it fit inside) with some significant welds there possibly from "re-attachment"(?), as well as unless an optical illusion from the angle of the pic, the seat back seems "more towards 90 degrees" to the bottom seat than the new frame below.  I wonder if Doug's frame was for SWs with room behind them?  Also look at the front feet where with this one the flat pieces face upward while in Doug's pic they face downward???  Downward seems like it would help prevent the "bounce out" issue.  This will be interesting to find out the "results".
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Doug_3B

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 05:25:17 PM »
Awesome!  Great information guys.  So glad I got a great "deal" on this seat  ;D ;D ;D  Now I know why he got rid of it!

The pegs on this reproduction seat seem puny compared what you guys are showing me.  Now to decide whether to try to build them up or spend the $$ on the new ones.

Agreed that the rear legs seem way short on this one compared to the ones in the pictures and that the seat appears to be attached too far back to the legs.

By the time I'm done with this, I will have more work into this one than if I had just fabricated a frame like I had planned!  ;D ;D ;D

I'll try to remember to update this thread when I have it all sorted out.

Thank you, as always, for the information and advice!
-Doug

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
Doug,
I got called away and needed to add to this thread.  So glad you other guys chimed in. 

Walck's (link changed - if it gets changed again, search on their website for rear seat leg lock):
https://walcks4wd.com/Leg-Lock-Rear-Seat-CJ2A-CJ3A-CJ3B-DJ3A-Station-Wagon_p_2198.html

Fabrication:
If you're one of those guys (handy with a welding machine/bending tubes), I have a suggestion.  I too was going to remark on the legs.  If you had good measurements on leg dimensions, you may want to make your own then weld to that frame. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:37:40 AM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 09:39:00 AM »
This update is worth mentioning (plus I wanted this new information to show on our forum in case someone is in need).  There is a member on the CJ2A Forum, from South Africa, making these pegs.  It's machined and assembled/ welded.  Looks very stout and rugged.  Read about it here:
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic43765_post473985.html#473985
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Doug_3B

• Willys Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
Rus,

I need to visit the forum more often; just now seeing your post.  I went over and contacted him about getting a set of those pegs.  I hope he still has some available!

Thank you for sharing the information!

Doug
-Doug

Offline Chuck W.

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »
Let us know if you were able to buy a pair. I would not mind getting a pair myself. Do you know his email address?
1952 M38 w/M100 trailer
1966 M274A2

Mike Udal

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »
I am the maker of the rear seat pegs in question!

You can contact me via the CJ2A page or directly via email on mike_kagera@yahoo.co.uk

I have enough stock to make 50 assembled pegs with washers, or 25 pairs. 1 pair needed to repair a seat. I can offer these for sale ready welded as an assembled unit, or if you prefer to do your own welding, then as loose washers and spears. Your choice.

Pricing is $12.50 per assembled washer and spear unit, ie $25 for a pair to repair 1 seat. I live in South Africa and assemble and finish these in my garage at home. Shipping is obviously from here. I have already shipped a set to the USA and they took around 6 weeks to arrive. Shipping cost is determined by weight, currently $5 per pair via the ordinary air mail service. If you buy more than 1 set then price will be adjusted accordingly. So the cost for 1 pair is $30 delivered to your door. If you want faster or insured shipping with tracking, then I will have to get you a quote.

Let me know if you are interested. Payment will have to be via Paypal unless you want to do an international wire transfer. I think Paypal will be easiest and probably cheapest. My Paypal address is mike_kagera@yahoo.co.uk

You can also contact me directly on this same email address if you prefer.

Take care all,

Mike

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 03:49:52 PM »
I PM'd Mike and he said he posted here on the forum and will be visible soon after approval.

The short answer is yes, he has some available and can ship for a total of $30.00 (based on previous shipping to US).  Give him some time to get on and I'm sure he'll be easier to contact then. 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline derekredmond

• SMF Administrator
  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • CJ3B.info
    • View Profile
    • CJ3B.info
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 04:53:20 PM »
Hi Doug and Rus and Chuck!

Luckily I happened to see Mike's post shortly after he made it, and I approved it.  Great that this long-running thread is coming to a helpful conclusion!

Derek
Derek Redmond
Kingston, Ontario
https://CJ3B.info

Offline Chuck W.

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 07:22:27 PM »
Thanks to all. Mike, I just sent you a PayPal payment for one pair. Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:29:45 PM by Chuck W. »
1952 M38 w/M100 trailer
1966 M274A2