The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)  (Read 314 times)

Offline Squishymonster

Re: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
My one CJ5 seat came in and I got it test fitted.  It gives a comfortable amount of leg room. My seat frames were already cut so after a little more chopping, the rails line up perfectly with one of the two sets of holes.

If one wanted to make some small offset plates it would be trivial to squeeze out one more inch of leg room  but you'd touching the wheel well. I might go that route a bit later.

For now I want to rebuild one corner of my frame that was chopped out so I can get a 4th bolt in there.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:57:17 PM by Squishymonster »

Offline Squishymonster

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »
Since the Smittybilt seat fits well, I ordered one for the passenger side as well. I also ordered brake cylinder rebuild kits, and the rubber lines for the whole brake system since mine are pretty shot. I would still prefer to have whiplash protection, but I'll start with these.

I picked up some 1 inch mild steel tube and 2 inch angle channel to rebuild the corner and back of the seat frame to support a 4th bolt, and I got some smaller tube to make spacers for the bolts to fit into so they can be snugged down without the seat vinyl contacting the frame. Unfortunately I won't get chance to weld this evening, but possibly Thursday evening, or Saturday.

Offline Squishymonster

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
I got two of four rubber brake lines replaced. I also took off the rear right brake wheel cylinder because it wouldnt bleed properly. Turns out it was pretty rusted solid and took some vice and hammer work to get apart. I think I'll order replacements.

Offline Squishymonster

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
I tried my hand at rebuilding my rear left wheel cylinder and I think it went pretty well. I had to do a lot of digging to get the old dry rubber out of the pistons, and the inside needed some sanding. I picked up a honing tool but it doesnt fit the 3/4 cylinders so sandpaper and a metal rod were my plan B.

I ordered a set of four replacements but at $30 a pop, I'm not sure which way I'll go yet. If I use the new ones maybe I'll list the relbuilts for someone that wants slightly more OEM.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 11:57:56 PM »
IMHO, even with the mess, you'll be happier with the rebuilds.  On small cylinders, I'd use my finger and sand paper.   Easy to feel and control pressure.  Lots of brake fluid to rinse.   Once you've done a few, it's not so bad.  I once did a clutch cylinder on a Toyota out on the beach with a couple of hand tools, a sheet of 400 grit and 3 bottles of brake fluid (that was fun). 

It is possible that the new ones may have lower quality parts.  I ordered new (and a year later ordered rebuild kits for all 4 - have already rebuilt the rear).

Another option is you could rebuild what you have, then install the new ones.  IF (I did say "if") one fails you have an immediate replacement-that you already know fits-ready to go.  An opinion on your previous post:  Test fit the new bleed screws into the old one so that you know.  That one that was stopped up may contaminate the new rebuild so either tape or a bleed screw that fits.

just my .02 cents worth. 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C