The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)  (Read 9870 times)

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 09:46:05 PM »
My one CJ5 seat came in and I got it test fitted.  It gives a comfortable amount of leg room. My seat frames were already cut so after a little more chopping, the rails line up perfectly with one of the two sets of holes.

If one wanted to make some small offset plates it would be trivial to squeeze out one more inch of leg room  but you'd touching the wheel well. I might go that route a bit later.

For now I want to rebuild one corner of my frame that was chopped out so I can get a 4th bolt in there.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:57:17 PM by Squishymonster »

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »
Since the Smittybilt seat fits well, I ordered one for the passenger side as well. I also ordered brake cylinder rebuild kits, and the rubber lines for the whole brake system since mine are pretty shot. I would still prefer to have whiplash protection, but I'll start with these.

I picked up some 1 inch mild steel tube and 2 inch angle channel to rebuild the corner and back of the seat frame to support a 4th bolt, and I got some smaller tube to make spacers for the bolts to fit into so they can be snugged down without the seat vinyl contacting the frame. Unfortunately I won't get chance to weld this evening, but possibly Thursday evening, or Saturday.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »
I got two of four rubber brake lines replaced. I also took off the rear right brake wheel cylinder because it wouldnt bleed properly. Turns out it was pretty rusted solid and took some vice and hammer work to get apart. I think I'll order replacements.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
I tried my hand at rebuilding my rear left wheel cylinder and I think it went pretty well. I had to do a lot of digging to get the old dry rubber out of the pistons, and the inside needed some sanding. I picked up a honing tool but it doesnt fit the 3/4 cylinders so sandpaper and a metal rod were my plan B.

I ordered a set of four replacements but at $30 a pop, I'm not sure which way I'll go yet. If I use the new ones maybe I'll list the relbuilts for someone that wants slightly more OEM.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 11:57:56 PM »
IMHO, even with the mess, you'll be happier with the rebuilds.  On small cylinders, I'd use my finger and sand paper.   Easy to feel and control pressure.  Lots of brake fluid to rinse.   Once you've done a few, it's not so bad.  I once did a clutch cylinder on a Toyota out on the beach with a couple of hand tools, a sheet of 400 grit and 3 bottles of brake fluid (that was fun). 

It is possible that the new ones may have lower quality parts.  I ordered new (and a year later ordered rebuild kits for all 4 - have already rebuilt the rear).

Another option is you could rebuild what you have, then install the new ones.  IF (I did say "if") one fails you have an immediate replacement-that you already know fits-ready to go.  An opinion on your previous post:  Test fit the new bleed screws into the old one so that you know.  That one that was stopped up may contaminate the new rebuild so either tape or a bleed screw that fits.

just my .02 cents worth. 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 11:04:58 PM »
I'm learning more about this machine all the time. It's so foreign compared to modern vehicles that I feel like I'm discovering operation of some alien craft.

Today I finished replacing rubber and metal lines in the front brake circuit, and bled them. I still need to swap the front wheel cylinders but couldnt get a hub socket yet.

I finally took her out for her first on road test of about 3 miles. I was so afraid I was going to get stranded and be walking home. The brakes are not too strong yet so I have some tinkering to do there. There was a whole lot of play in the steering. Lots of rattles and wheel wobble that seemed to chill out after some time. Might be due to the gnarly rotten old tires that haven't rolled faster than 1 rpm in some years.

Cruising speed seemed normal but the transmission sounds like a tractor. Took a big gravel road mud puddle in 3rd gear like a champ but I have no wipers yet. When I got home I laughed at how water apparently splashed up through the drilled holes in the bed.

I thought the clutch was bad since I couldnt downshift into first (this is where the old hats laugh). I figured it out. Who'd have guessed?

That drive unlocks a lot of 'next step' options. For one, I need to improve the brakes a bit, and also tighten the steering. I want to replace all of the fluids, and get some not rotting tires on there - pretty much continue to make it road worthy.

I'm very happy with the engine so far. I think it's running a bit lean though since it couldnt handle all of the air.

I need to track down a short circuit in the brake wiring and wire up a new turn signal lever that I ordered from KW.

This is good times and I'm happy to finally reach this milestone!

Oh, I also picked up a spare set of axles but for now they are earmarked for my 2a build. Next I need to price out suspension, and then I can drive to Indy to get a repro frame. I think the 2a will be a restomod and the 3a will be original-ish based on the difference in their condition.

Also... I noticed when parked in the barn *rear end-out for the first time that theres a noticeable lean to the driver side. I worried about that too until I did some research ;)

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2020, 12:16:13 AM »
I got plates yesterday and hung them today

Spindle nut socket arrived so I got my front wheel cylinders replaced and bled. Pretty much everything brake related has been replaced and with this change the pedal went from rock hard to soft. The front cylinders were rusted shut. Now maybe I'm low on fluid. I'm going to get a vacuum bleeder so I dont need the assistant.

My battery was dead today. After a little charge my starter spun but wouldnt engage. Smacked it with a hammer but no change. Put it in gear and rocked it a bit then it engaged. I think that means busted ring gear teeth but I wasn't hearing the starter click on and off so maybe... it's just the starter "clutch"

Power seems okay until higher rpm second gear where it feels like it wants to stall. I need to do a little carb tinkering.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 10:28:36 PM »
Unless a previous owner was playing around, I think I have an old Navy utility jeep. I'll try to attach a couple of pics after I post. The site seems to let me attach after the fact only.

I've  been making progress on my brakes and decided it was time to figure out the crazy wobble. Tires are the first step. I got a set of Deestone D503 7x16 earlier this week and I'm getting them mounted tomorrow.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »
Progress!  I had a lot of worn parts in the steering contributing to my wobble.  Check everything from tires to steering wheel.

That Navy plate is unique.  Have you checked the serial numbers to see if they match the jeeps?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 08:27:17 AM »
The Navy data plate is very cool.  A batch of 3As were sold to the Navy.  I doubt the PO was playing around.
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 09:47:48 PM »
Not the best picture. I was running low on flash juice.

These are 7.0x16 Deestone d503. I knew nothing about tire size before this and I was super paranoid about ordering some duds. Seems to have worked out. These are just finger tight as I'm checking fit and have some drum work to finish.

Offline OnlyOneDR

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Just Started Playing With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2020, 06:32:15 PM »
They look good, like the vintage Remingtons that are on the front of mine.
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
I've been having trouble with something binding during take off and very randomly. I knew my brakes had a little binding and I thought that was it so while I swapped in the new tires I adjust all of the shoes. Now I know they are nice and free spinning when they should.

I was planning to test the tires today to see how much wobble they removed from the ride but something was still bound up.

I decided it had to be the transmission or xfer case. The transmission is in neutral. So I took the shift tower off and found a nice big ice block covering the lower gear set. I have a whole set of fluids for basically everything but my plan was to drive and get everything warmed up and flowing. Bow I'm going to have to let the tranny drain as the winter temps do their thing... I might try to devise some way to speed it along. I busted out the plumbers torch for a second and then decided it maybe isnt the smartest idea. Oh... maybe flushing hot water through it.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2020, 10:15:01 PM »
I wasn't super excited to see what's going on around 3rd gear... I guess I'll drive it and start trying to source a donor t90 to rebuild.

Also drained nothing but clean water out of the xfer case.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 03:34:08 PM »
water....
in your transmission/ transfer case......

At least a tear-down to inspect would be smart.  I can't imagine letting the gears sit through the winter would be good.  Seems something, i.e. kerosene or GL 1 oil would be better than empty but I don't know what you're having to shuffle around in order to get to that point.  I would probably want something in there to displace what's left of the water - just in case the bearings and surfaces are still in good condition, you'd at least not allow them to get any worse (that milky residue suggests the water may have been thoroughly mixed in). 

What you do end up finding in there upon inspection will be interesting.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:37:33 PM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C