� � There was a similar "hood thread" some time ago. �May have been on the old forum. �It was since I restored my Jeep over 4 years ago. �A question was asked about the quality of new reproduction hoods purchased through Omix Ada.
My original hood was so badly distorted I knew it was beyond my ability to restore it to the level I was wanting so I looked for a good used hood. �I found one in Denver. The guy told my on the phone that it was nearly perfect. �He had sold several good hoods and he explained to me that this was one of the best one he had seen, that it would take just a little sanding and it'd be ready for paint. �I paid him $100 plus $118 in shipping. �When I got it, it was nearly as bad as mine. �I kept looking. �Found another one in the East. �Again, was told how good it was. �Same price, similar shipping costs. �Again, I was very disappointed and this one was terribly rusted with pits. �I ordered a new one through Northwest Military Vehicles. �They, like all other Jeep suppliers, order their new body parts through Omix Ada, which originate with MD Juan in the Philippines. �
� � At first, I thought it was great. �But then when I started preparing it for paint I could see that in the radius of the curve above the embossed WILLYS there was an indentation. �I'm sure it's from poor tooling allowing the material to be drawn into the embossing. �Nevertheless, I called Omix Ada, (its a bit hard to get their number but I had gotten in from a damaged drop-shipment from them sometime earlier). �I told them of my disappointment in the hood I'd received. �I asked them how many they had in stock. �They said about 18. �I told them I would purchase another outright with no exchange or return if they would go to the trouble to check each one with a straight edge in the radius of the curve above the WILLYS and then sell me the best one. �They did, they said that each one had the similar 1/4 inch or more indentation. �I talked to a body and fender man locally. �He said there would be no way to stretch the metal out to the perfect radius. �He suggested a good quality bondo with proper application techniques. �It was a challenge, but it came out looking good and it's still holding. �Now, with that said--on the post some time ago, at least two other 3A Page members responded at that time that they had new Omix Ada / MD Juan hoods that were acceptable without bondo. �
� � I later sold my other two hoods for what I paid for them and the recipients were very pleased with them. �
� � Don't tell anyone, but the problem must be with me.
� � If there is a US manufacturer that makes quality hoods,(Classic Enterprises) I would probably still be in the market. �I have paint left over and would be willing to pay for quality. �There is a place in the Northeast called Panels Plus that was selling many properly-made body parts, but not hoods, grills, and windshields. �I wonder if they do now. �Haven't heard of them for some time.
� � For what it's worth....