The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: One Owner CJ3A Restoration  (Read 11367 times)

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
One Owner CJ3A Restoration
« on: March 27, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »
Well, I finally got her home and sorted. This project was started by another member here and I bought her a few weeks ago. Lucy is basically a one owner machine (even though 3 people owner her before me). She was purchased new in 1950 by Eddy Arnold, a Country singer from the Grand Ole Opry. She was used on his farm in Tennessee. He sold her in 1986. The next buyer used her in parades for a bit, then she was parked. The next owner took her home and parked her for another 8-9 years then he disassembled her and did some repairs on the frame and painted the frame. Then I bought her. So far she's never been out of the state of Tennessee!
� It amazes me as to how good the condition is. The bell crank feels like new, as do the tie rod ends once you get the years of grease off. The steering box has been dissembled but the oil still leaks from the box. The engine has been replaced with a Jasper rebuild at some time and it is a Kaiser Supersonic. Look at the pictures, the labels on the side of the block are paper warning labels. How long do paper labels last? I have receipts that show a generator rebuild and a starter rebuild. The dash is almost unadulterated, just a couple of screw holes, easy patch. The Gauges look stock and the speedo shows 89,000 miles. The seat frames are still factory black.
� �All those plastic bags on the wall are the parts the previous owner removed and labeled. She also has the original heater.
� The worst part seems to be the floor but it's very fixable. The body on the passenger side needs some attention but once again an easy fix.� �
� Lucy has her original Willys soft doors(in great condition) and the frame for the soft top(the top was too deteriorated to save).
� Fenders and grill are fine. Tailgate has some rust in the bottom roll but it's fixable.
� I almost think some paint stripper would bring her back to original paint. She's Luxon Red, I think that's the name, it's almost maroon. The wheels seem to be Cream under the green. I'll be repaint her to the original color scheme(or as close as possible).
� Here's some pictures:

� �
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:27:46 AM by mtnman37879 »
People think I go out of my way to * them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.

Offline aboyandhisdog

Re: One Owner CJ3A Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
Pretty sweet!  Don't get Flamingo * all over your work.  Did the PO say that the engine is still strong?  Do you need to dive into the drive train, or doing mostly frame/body work?  Good looking project!
Tom

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
Pretty sweet!� Don't get Flamingo * all over your work.� Did the PO say that the engine is still strong?� Do you need to dive into the drive train, or doing mostly frame/body work?� Good looking project!
In the next few days I'll hook a oil pressure gauge to her and fire her up to see what kind of pressure I have. Then I'll do a compression test. If it all comes back acceptable I'll replace the head gasket and front and rear main seals(all easy while engine is out), paint it and call it good. She'll get a new clutch too. I've yet to open the trans to see what it might need.
  Plastic Flamingos=Plastic *! Easy to clean!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:43:19 PM by mtnman37879 »

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
Sweet project, are you saying this is the same Jeep as in this picture?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:21:36 PM by Kirkski »
'52 CJ-3A

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 06:56:02 PM »
Yes, that's her. I also have the original title, signed by Eddy Arnold, Copies of the letter written by Arnold requesting a lost title so the original could be kept for posterity.  original owners manual signed and dated when he sold the jeep, Several other pictures of her life, some miscellaneous receipts and a bunch of registration papers from the Arnold days. Maybe if I ever sell her this will increase the price.

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »
mtnman37879 that is really cool, my mom was a real Eddy Arnold fan, looking forward to this restoration!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 08:22:42 AM by Kirkski »
'52 CJ-3A

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:10:06 PM »
The postman was very good to me today! Bearings, seals and hubs. When I cleaned up the rear hubs I found both were cracked at the keyway.� I got these NOS hubs from the guy in Chickamauga. They're both left hand but I got lucky they both have studs, the one in the picture had no studs. I'll replace one side with right hand studs. Axle bearings from Rockauto and rebuild set for the third member from some jeep place on ebay, $84 for the set with shims, seal and cover bolts. All Timken bearings. The rear was apart when I got her so I'm rebuilding her. The old bearings were worn but not worn out.

� �
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:36:54 AM by mtnman37879 »

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
Reassembled the rear axle today. First try and the cut is as good as it gets! Next step get some paint on it and get it on the springs.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:29:31 PM by mtnman37879 »

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
Once again the postman was nice! Four 11" brake drums, 4 wheel cylinders, 4 sets of shoes, 4 parts kits, all the U bolts and all the shackles and all the bolts for the springs and all 4 springs. Now if the durn backing plates would get here I could assemble it all. Work progressing nicely.

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
The view from the bottom. Not as bad as a lot of Jeeps I've seen. Lots of unfaded Luzon Red under that grime. Who has the least expensive Hat Channels?

Offline RICKG

• Willys Guru
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 04:55:30 PM »
UGG.. Bodywork..
OD MULE MC51986

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
I was VERY happy with all of the materials I purchased from Classic Enterprises... everything was as it should have been. I got hat channel, floor pans, side panels and rear pan no issues
'52 CJ-3A

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 10:33:33 PM »
I've bought a couple sets of these.� Very nice, and a decent price.

http://store.midwestmilitary.com/product-p/mwm134.htm

Note: some assembly required. ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:34:27 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline mtnman37879

• Flatfender Enthusiast
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 12:01:12 AM »
I ran across these tonight. I can measure, cut drill and weld I hate welding galvanized but I have done it. I think I could hit the weld areas with a grinder first and all will be good. Another plus, rust free. http://www.clarkdietrich.com/products/drywall-framing/furring-channel-hat-channel
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:16:13 AM by mtnman37879 »

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »
Nice history ,my Dad was born in western Tenn. (Brace) near Lawrenceburg. I got my repair stuff from Classic Ent also. That hat channel you found for construction is very flimsy not really structural usage. I am an electrical contractor and beat,curt and flatten it all the time.
1950 CJ3A complete except for top. 1950 CJ3A in process of being sold to a friend. 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Step Thru Scooter.