The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My cj3A  (Read 57281 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 01:04:34 PM »
So one more question. When I fill the tranny and transfer case do I just put oil in it until it starts coming back out the plug hole like you do on axles? Or do I have to split the 3.5 pint amount between the two?

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
So how do I know how much to put in? Do I fill them up until the fluid is just leaking out the plugs like axles? Do I split the 3.5 pints between them?

Thanks again for everyone's help

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2016, 09:23:01 PM »
Quote
So one more question. When I fill the tranny and transfer case do I just put oil in it until it starts coming back out the plug hole like you do on axles?

Yes.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
Thanks

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
Here we go.. I promised Medsker I would continue the thread. Jon if you check in from time to time plz say howdy..

When I got back to Idaho with the project the weather just would not cooperate and both jeeps were under tarps in deep snow for the next 5-6 weeks.. >:(
�
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:21:58 PM by MC51986 »
OD MULE MC51986

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
Spent the time taking inventory and reconditioning small items like the Kelly locking hubs and the OD.
OD MULE MC51986

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »
This weekend I was finally able to get the 3A in the shop with my M38 for company. More to follow when time allows..
OD MULE MC51986

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
Nice.  Good to see the continuation of this project.

Looks like you got some very nice bits and pieces with the deal.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
Follow up...

Heat Riser arm position?
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
Another follow up...

Cool building! 8-)
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
Quote
Follow up...

Heat Riser arm position?
Yup, good eye Tim, the arm is simply slid on the shaft, the spring still in a parts bag..
OD MULE MC51986

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2017, 05:21:16 PM »
Progress a little at a time. Oil filter and lines plumbed in, carb and fuel pump rebuilt and installed, driveshafts cleaned up and new u-joints installed, exhaust system temp'd in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:30:16 PM by MC51986 »
OD MULE MC51986

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:54 PM »
Looking good Muley.  Are you setting up for a chassis run?  I think I read somewhere that you were looking for the basic wiring needed to start the engine.  This might help you...



2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
I remember seeing that sketch before, thanks Hawky. Not gearing up for a chassis run just yet but am anxious to run up the motor. Need a recore on the raddy before I can do that..
OD MULE MC51986

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
A re-core.  Ouch. 

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A