The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My cj3A  (Read 57288 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline mtnman37879

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
Perfect, now it looks professional.
People think I go out of my way to * them off.
Trust me, It's not out of my way at all.

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2017, 12:09:18 PM »
Clutch and brake linkages done. Nice and tight. I purchased the clutch cross shaft specific to the different travel of the cable for the optional 6 spring 9-1/4" Rockford pressure plate
in the jeep.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 12:11:33 PM by MC51986 »
OD MULE MC51986

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
Looks sharp!  Are the clutch and brake pedal arms new too?

 I needed a new brake arm.  The reproduction wasn't bent right.  I didn't know this until I installed the tub.  It didn't align with the hole.  I had to take it apart a couple times to heat it and put the right bend in it.  I was not my normal happy-go-lucky self that day. [smiley=angry.gif]
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
Stock clutch/brake arms Tim. There's the slightest bit of play in the brake arm but i'll live with it.
OD MULE MC51986

Offline 4X4M38

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Hi Rick!
My M38 had the same clevis end clutch rod you made. Some discussion on the MWillys site reveals the Army actually had an MWO to perform exactly the operation on the bent end clutch rods
to solve the problem of the ends getting bent and the clutch out of adjustment.

Until someone surfaced the MWO there was some conjecture it was a Bubba mod.

Take care,
Brian

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
Hi Brian, good to see you poking around..
OD MULE MC51986

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
Muley, is the new heavy duty clutch significantly harder to work than the stock 8 1/2" unit?  Also, with the new clevis set-up you made, do you notice any slop in the action?  You do nice work!
Tom


Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
Tom, not having driven it I cant say whether or not the HD Rockford is more or less hard to press. As for the linkage there is no slop. I don't remember if I did the linkage upgrade on my M38 or not...I should check and see..
OD MULE MC51986

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
Muley, you going to FCT?
Tom


Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #99 on: August 02, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
No can-do this year Tom...
OD MULE MC51986

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2017, 11:24:49 AM »
Muley, can you give me the exact length that the clutch rod should be?� I think I'll make this improvement too and I don't have the OE rod - just an all-thread set up that it came with.� I don't know if it is the correct length.� Thanks!


Also, where did you find your 2 clevis fittings and what size are they?�

Okay, got it all done with 3/8 in clevis yokes from Ace and had to cut the 24tpi threads myself - no fine thread all-thread to be found.  My old rod was 10 5/8 "  oc, but I would still be interested to learn what the oc measurement is of the OE clutch rod.  You must be on a backcountry trip.   8-)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:26:32 PM by aboyandhisdog »
Tom


Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
Long time with no updates. Got the inst test panel built and wired the starter test circuit-turned the mighty L134 over by key for the 1st time since I brought the project home winter of '16. After FCT i'll wire ign and charge circuits and see if it'll fire up-stay tuned..
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:21:02 PM by MC51986 »
OD MULE MC51986

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2018, 04:59:18 PM »
That's a beautiful thing, Muley!
Tom


Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »
I like the aluminum radiator. Looking forward to seeing more progress after FCT.

See you in a few days.........
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
Ya Tom, George, see ya both soon. The 3A project is a mongrel, no pedigree.. No hurry to get it done cuz what then will I do in the shop after work. Someday i'll retire the M38 OD Mule and run the 3A on the trails.
OD MULE MC51986