The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My cj3A  (Read 57273 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was looking at page 42 and it didn't have any info on installation  ;D When you told me page 49 I just assumed that was the page I was on. Teach me to make assumptions  :)

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2015, 09:58:18 PM »
Ya know, I often post questions and then find out that the answer is right there in the book...it's OK....there is a lot of info in that manual but not all of it is where you'd expect to find it.....

So, have you got it running?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
It's still on the engine stand. I haven't started putting the willys together yet. I'm doing the big parts one at a time. So far I've finished the front axle. I'm working on the engine, carburetor and transfer case right now...mostly cleaning. I'm almost ready to paint the engine. I need to pull the cam gear so I can replace the gasket behind the plate and then I should be ready to put it back together and paint it. I'm having trouble finding a puller to get the gear off. None of the pullers I own would work. I ordered one from Amazon that I'm hoping will work but haven't got it yet.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2015, 10:36:09 PM »
You probably already know that the cam gear is a fiber gear, so be careful! The machine shop pulled mine so I have no advice to offer....hope your new puller works..
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
So I know I haven't updated this thread for a while. It seems like you work on it once in a while but things go so slowly you don't take pictures until you hit milestones. I finally got mine on four wheels again. I have mounted the engine in it since the picture was taken and am starting to get the flywheel, clutch and bell housing on when I ran into a problem. My flywheel has four bolts and two dowels. They aren't tapered, they are straight on the sides and don't screw in. It looks like a press fit. So how do I get them in? Do I just snug down the flywheel and then pound them in with a soft mallet until they are flush?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2015, 09:20:21 PM »
I think I understand.  You are replacing the two dowels and the four bolts on the back side of your crankshaft...correct?

I've never needed to replace the dowels, but I believe these should be pressed in with an actual press. 

You might be able to pull them in to position with some washers a nut and an impact wrench, but I just don't know how tight this fit is. 

Tim

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
I'm not replacing them, just trying to install. I'm just not good at explaining  :).  Here is a couple of pics. The first one shows the pins next to the holes they go in. The second pic shows engine lay out. When I removed the flywheel one stayed in the engine side but pulled partially out and the other was in the flywheel side. When I went to install the flywheel one pin went in too far and the other one went in "right". When I pulled the flywheel back off they both only came partially out so I removed them with a brass drift. I think if I press them back in, they still wont insert into the engine side. I own a press so pressing them in isn't a problem. Maybe I'll try to press them into the flywheel and them install it and see what happens.

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
So I was able to hammer the pins in after the flywheel was installed. They went in hard so I think they will stay. Especially since there is only rotational movement so they won't have any forces pushing them in or out.

One more problem down...only a thousand to go  :)

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2015, 03:35:44 PM »
Ahh. Okay, I get it now. 

Now to offer you my confusion...

Both flywheels I've messed with have similar dowel style pins that center the flywheel, but they are threaded on the clutch side and have a shoulder on the engine side.  They are driven in from the engine side and the shoulder stops them from being pulled out when you tighten the nuts to secure the flywheel.  I don't have a great photo of this, but here you can see the six nuts...

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
So I got the engine, tranny and transfer case in. I put the front motor mounts on and then when I went to put the tranny mount in they were 1/2" off to the right. I pulled it over with a ratchet strap and got it mounted but I'm wondering if putting a "bind" on the system might be bad for it. The front right motor mounts rubber seems to be twisted a little. Is this something I need to worry about? I measured the frame and it appears to be square. Not sure what else it could be.


Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »
You're probably not hurting anything but the motor mount. There is a slotted hole on the front engine plate. If the motor mounts were tight to the plate when installing the engine, you might be able to loosen the top bolt on the motor mount and relieve the pressure. 

If this doesn't solve the minor twist, you could raise the engine off the frame mounts and elongate the two motor mount holes on the frame.  Maybe use a small circular file or dremmel tool.  It wouldn't take very much. 1/8" would translate into quite a bit of wiggle room once you get back to the tranny mount.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try this week.

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »
So question. I looked at the book and it says the transmission and transfer case take 3 1/2 pints together. I see two plugs though...one on the transfer case and one on the transmission. The transfer case one is about an inch lower than the transmission one. Do I just just put oil in the transmission plug since it is higher? Or do I put it in both?

Thanks

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 01:58:59 PM »
Quote
So question. I looked at the book and it says the transmission and transfer case take 3 1/2 pints together. I see two plugs though...one on the transfer case and one on the transmission. The transfer case one is about an inch lower than the transmission one. Do I just just put oil in the transmission plug since it is higher? Or do I put it in both?

Thanks


Fill both, drive for a few miles, check both, and top off again if necessary. Fluid will flow between the two but they still need to be filled independently especially when starting from dead empty.

Good to see you're still at it!
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
I'm plugging along on it. I have the engine, tranny and transfer case in. I'm starting on the tub now. Lots to do on it. I finally got everything out of it that the PO put in it. Now I have to start fresh and start adding stock stuff back in.

Thanks for the info on the filling of the t-case and tranny. I'll get that done.