The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: My cj3A  (Read 57344 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »
I read up on the steering wheel and column. They didn't make that easy. I think what I'm going to do is pull it apart. I have to get the tub off whether I replace it or fix it so I will start with that and see how it looks. 

What are people doing with tire replacement? Are you staying with tubes or replacing them?

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
I've been using tubes because the stock wheels are not meant to take tubeless. If you want modern tires, you can use radials with tubes.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
I finally got the tub off of the frame. The frame seems to be in good shape with some mild pitting. I figure if I use a textured coating it should work great.


Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
I was trying to decide what to do about the tub of my Willys when I found this guy on Craigslist. I figured I could get it for less than the cost of a tub and have lots of extras. It is pretty much rust free. I flat towed it home and only got a few miles when the rear two tires locked up on me. A fellow Jeeper named Harry (very thankful he pulled over) pulled up to help. It took us a couple of hours of trying to lose break drums, bleed the rear brakes to relieve pressure, and other things to figure it out but came to the conclusion the diff had locked up so we removed the axle shafts and I towed it home. They put a Buick V6 engine which seems to run well except the carb needs cleaned. I've decided to build one Willys to as close to original as I can and then take all of the extra parts and build a rat rod out of them.

I have a couple questions about the new one. The rear tire rack wraps around the corners and hooks on like it is stock. Is it? I have a feeling it isn't. Second, does anyone know of a way to un-yellow the windows?

These are the pics from the listing. I haven't taken any my self. I've already pulled off the monstrosity on the front bumper  :)

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
I would save both jeep...
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
I may save both...I figure I'll finish one and then decide what to do with the other.

It took some detective work but finally made out the numbers on the tag "CJ-3A  46572"

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
Both look great and would be excellent candidates for restoration or renovation....

Keep the pictures coming!

The green tub doesn't look too bad from a distance....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »
I've been on vacation the past few weeks but finally had some time to work on it yesterday. I did a few odds and ends and then I pulled the steering gear box, transmission, transfer case, and engine. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a engine hoist and a leveler which was much easier than a chain in the ceiling and a come-along. The steering column is bent pretty bad and I'm sure I will have to replace it. I guess that is what happens when you try to pull the tub off by yourself  :) 

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
There is nothing like have the right tools....

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline zooke581

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 224
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »
Man...another clean shop.  Where do you all get those?  Nice work. 

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »
 ;D It has taken me thirty years to get a shop like this. Of course a four car garage helps to organize everything. :)

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »
So I'm going to sell the top off the red one. It looks like it is in pretty good shape considering it's age. It has one small hole at the top of the driver's door and another small one on the back where the tire carrier wore through. Both are less than an inch long. All the zippers work great and all the snaps work except for one. The one snap has pulled apart but didn't rip the top.

So my question is: what is it worth? I really don't want to ship it so I would have to have a buyer from around here (couple hours north of LA). I wouldn't mind meeting someone part way somewhere though.

Any guesses?

Thanks

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 10:51:20 AM »
Question... Is the tub in the above picture on saw horse's or mounted on a engine stand?
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
It's sitting on saw horses. Just stuck the stand under it to get it out of the way until I needed it.

Offline Medsker51

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 1951 CJ-3A
    • View Profile
Re: My cj3A
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
It's been a while since I posted. I've been playing to much and not working on them. I removed the red ones body and pulled the engine. I also included a pic of my "bone yard". I think it looks pretty cool� :)

I'm starting to pull the overdrive and transfer case and have hit a snag. I can't seem to get the snap ring off the rear of the t-case. Any ideas? I can spread it quite a ways but still can't get it to slip over the shaft.

I had forgotten how much fun it is to play with old vehicles. So simple compared to modern vehicles.