The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Hawk's CJ3A 13655  (Read 224889 times)

0 Members and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »
Showroom quality..... nice!
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2016, 06:31:03 AM »
Quote
The paint finish is a little more complex than a 68 year old vehicle deserves, but all in all, it turned out pretty decent.

I wouldn't expect anything less outta your shop.  Looks fantastic man!
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Oilleaker1

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 201
  • Karma: +1/-0
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2016, 06:46:43 AM »
Hawky, looking good! The only dirty looking anything in your pictures was your Kubota. I washed mine for the first time. Felt guilty. Your paint booth set up looked like the Mayo Clinic  ;). muley and I will provide you with the final piece to Rachel's Jeep when you come to the Hills. See you soon, Oilly

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2016, 03:51:37 PM »
Hey Hawk,

I'm glad to see some progress and I have no doubt that it will be a darn near perfect!

Glad your getting some good weather -

Keep posting 'cause we are ALL watching............

George
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
Really looks great...tough to find a "happy" color for a Willys...the original colors were so drab.... ;)

But, I think you've done it...

My green jeep makes people laugh, but it might not be because it's a "happy" color....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »
You guys are always way too kind.� I appreciate your thoughts and comments...very much.� Thank you.�
Muley, the color does seem to wash out a bit in the photos.� In person, it is more yellow.� Eventually, I'll drop it on the chassis and drag it outdoors.� It may show the color a little better.� I want to thank Rick and Leaker for picking up a gas can holder bracket at the military vehicle gathering in Idaho.� I am setting the spare tire on the tailgate like a military setup.� Made sense to balance it all out with a gas can.� You can see all the predrilled holes in the tailgate.

I did a little more work tonight.� This part always hurts...Drilling out the original grill for turn signal sockets and bulbs.� This set up is much more clean than my first attempt.� I give credit to Ryan, Garage Gnome, Johnb3b, Kenny_kustom, and others, for finding this solution a few years back.�

Drill it out to 3/4"... Ouch....



Universal 1157 socket.� $3.00 each.� Compact dual filament bulbs from Speedway $2.00 each.





Fits very nice with plenty of room between the bulb and bezel...




PS...Randy, I think your CJ5 is a very 'happy' Green color!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:27:57 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2016, 07:13:11 AM »
Looks great Tim. Thanks for tallying up the $10 cost for the turn signal conversion. I think when I tried this I spent about $100 on parts that didn't work before I settled on a similar set-up.  :D
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #337 on: June 15, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
Tim looks great, do you have the part numbers on the lamp holder for the turn signals?

Kirk
'52 CJ-3A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #338 on: June 15, 2016, 05:44:18 PM »
Thanks Ryan.  Credit to you for fighting that fight.

Kirk, picked off the rack at Autozone.  Dorman Universal Socket #85803.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #339 on: June 15, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »
Thanks Tim, excellent work...
'52 CJ-3A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #340 on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »
Quote
PS...Randy, I think your CJ5 is a very 'happy' Green color!

Thanks Tim, can't wait to see your 3a assembled and outside...I think it'll look great...

Everyone but me calls my CJ-5 "Kermit"...a "happy" name for sure!



1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #341 on: June 17, 2016, 11:30:51 PM »
Set the tub tonight.� Good view of the color contrast between the tub and wheels.� My wife gave it a "thumbs up".� And that's all that really matters.� I really like the way the satin clear coat knocked down the shine.





« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:31:19 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #342 on: June 18, 2016, 06:44:37 AM »
Pale yellow with contrast marvelously with some of that Colorado mud. Remember, that's why you built this thing, right?� Or have plans now changed? ;D

Looks great, as always.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 06:44:54 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #343 on: June 18, 2016, 07:52:37 AM »
Nah, plans are the same.  She will torture it.  I just can't control my OCD. ;D. Although, I did scratch the underside of the tub with the transmission shift lever...and I'm not going to fix it. ;)

Tim



2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #344 on: June 18, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
Quote
. Although, I did scratch the underside of the tub with the transmission shift lever...and I'm not going to fix it. ;)

Tim


Good to see your symptoms are improving. Baby steps....  ;D
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi