The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A  (Read 48017 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Quote
Cool set up.� But wait, I thought you had a little tank for the snow removal duties.

Tim

So what's the issue with a little redundancy?? ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:31:03 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »
Quote
Quote
Cool set up.� But wait, I thought you had a little tank for the snow removal duties.

Tim

So what's the issue with a little redundancy?? ;D

The tank is for the little boy to play....the other is for the wife to do the right job! ;D
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 09:21:04 PM »
That plow will probably lift much faster when you rev the engine up a bit.� Which is why a standard shift is nice when using an engine-driven hydraulic pump.� When you come into a snowbank, you step on the clutch and race up the motor to lift the blade quickly as you're shifting into reverse.� That's "old school" plowing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:50:27 AM by Jeff_M »

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2015, 06:45:10 AM »
My experience with a plow on a 48 CJ2A years ago was that angle plowing was virtually useless because of the weight of the jeep.
Now Ryan, you of the "Willys Hotline", there must be a rusting Willy's snowblower attachment sitting in some back yard up here. This is Maine, moving snow is is what we do for 11 months of the year. A snowblower on a jeep is the way to go...
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2015, 09:05:11 PM »
[media]https://youtu.be/eqaiR0gLEvY[/media]
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 07:55:34 AM »
Thank Ryan for posting it. I'm taking a lot of note for when i iwill install mine.
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »
So it was barely enough to justify but to keep it from icing over I hit the road with the plow...and it works. I wonder if Walck's offers quantity discounts on clutches? I have a feeling I'll be changing them as frequently as the engine oil.

[media]https://youtu.be/9jIgmmkzHl8[/media]
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2015, 04:13:21 PM »
What fun seemingly, man I'm really liking the video presentations. Alternating views and so forth, that's it I'm ordering mine this week!!
'52 CJ-3A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2015, 04:17:28 PM »
Quote
What fun seemingly, man I'm really liking the video presentations. Alternating views and so forth, that's it I'm ordering mine this week!!


If you do order one, draw a big black line through your calendar next weekend as that's all you'll be doing  ;D
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
It's still hard for me to believe how good the video quality is from such a small unit.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 05:31:23 PM »
I found an old guy in an old shop with some old tools to custom make some NEW tire chains for the red Jeep. We are currently getting walloped with fresh snow so the timing is good. The chains are pretty beefy:



Here's one installed on the spare tire from the gray Jeep I brought in to the shop as a test fit guinea pig.







And installed on the red Jeep.
 


I barreled through 8" of snow just now with surprising efficiency. So far it's way better than I expected. I'm ecstatic. I did get stuck once (semi-intentionally.....you have to push the limits to find them, right?) but since the Jeep is so light I was able to pluck it out of the ditch with my Tundra without it even breaking a sweat, another plus.

It's still snowing hard so I'll get another round in tomorrow morning.

[/URL]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:32:20 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 09:43:56 PM »
Enough fires already.

Old wiring out!



New Walck's harness in!



This is the third one of these I've installed and it is still much easier to have a completed visual aid parked 6' away for continual quick reference.

[/URL]
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:45:53 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Online scoutpilot

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 291
  • Karma: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2016, 05:09:46 AM »
[size=12]I�ll give you an Amen on that one![/size][/b]
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline Jeff_M

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Jeepless, but living vicariously through others...
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 08:16:43 AM »
You must have been fairly confident to tackle a harness replacement on your sole plow vehicle in the dead of winter. 

Also, are your chains snug enough that you don't even need rubber bungee cords to snug them up?  They look great.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »
Yum! Spaghetti wiring!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted