The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A  (Read 47996 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »
In an ongoing effort to "be more like Hawkridge" I decided I should start a "Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A" thread. First off, I needed a 1949 CJ3A. Luckily, just such a rig popped up on CL this weekend only a few minutes from house. I had actually heard rumor of this particular Jeep earlier in the year and went so far as to scout the roads in the vicinity I thought it was located hoping to find it. No luck. Turns out all I needed to do was sit home and stare at my computer screen and it would find me.

The CL ad, of course, said all the right stuff: "Must see to appreciate...Mint condition!....All original!....Farm edition!" Lofty claims, but could it be?? The price was steep but workable. What would Hawk do? It was worth a look.

So the usual story ensued. The tag lines in the ad turned out far from accurate and as such the asking price was miles apart from where it needed to be. However, the Jeep Gods smiled (not sure if they were smiling at the seller or me but they undoubtedly had a good laugh) and a deal was struck.

I'm not sure what my plans are but as of now it runs, drives, and stops (although it needs a jump start every time to get it running). The frame appears good and the motor sounds strong. The tub is "solid" (notice I said "solid", not "correct" or "done with any regard to quality or longevity"). It came with a plow and the riggings so maybe I'll try and get that mess hooked up. Since the M38 is going away this may be the new thrasher.

Enough of my babbling. Here's some pics and a video.

[media]https://youtu.be/ju-OlGWEewk[/media]



































« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:54:04 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
And a little research this afternoon finds me a couple owners removed from the world famous Glenn of unique Willys' implement fame. Here's a link to an older pic of this particular 3A wearing a buzz saw....

http://www.cj3apage.com/cgi-bin/3Ayabb26/YaBB.pl?num=1401846661

Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:26:40 PM »


I want everyone to know...

I have absolutely no influence over Ryan's decisions, but I appreciate him giving me undue credit for "his" excellent decision to purchase what looks to be a very nice 1949 3A. 8-)

I am a fan of the '49 3A because it has a few items that tie it to the CJ2A...which make it unique when compared to later 3As.

What caught my attention is the statement..."Since the M38 is going away..."

What up with that?  Did I miss something?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:15:19 PM »
Quote
What caught my attention is the statement..."Since the M38 is going away..."

What up with that?  Did I miss something?

I still have physical possession of the M38 but a sale is imminent. I will miss it dearly but I'm okay with the decision. It frees up some cash and garage space.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »
Looks great!  Sad to hear the M38 is getting kicked to the curb though.  Who knows though, maybe the new owner will become another forum member.  Win-win deal.
Now hurry, while you still have the M38, update your signature with the new addition.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
Quote
Looks great!� Sad to hear the M38 is getting kicked to the curb though.� Who knows though, maybe the new owner will become another forum member.� Win-win deal.
Now hurry, while you still have the M38, update your signature with the new addition.


Good idea! And if I included the dead 3B and other Bantam trailer carcass in my yard I'd really have an impressive profile.. ;D
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Kirkski

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 526
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »
Sweet looking 3A ! Congrats
'52 CJ-3A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
Ryan,
One thing I wasn't expecting to see is the side mount radiator.� Does the frame have the two bottom mount tabs welded on the tubular cross member?

Do you mind sharing the SN?

Edit:� I think I found my own answer.� Scroll down mid page for radiator changes on� Bob Ws web page.

I have an early 49 and a late 49.� Both have bottom mount radiators.� This left me believing that the majority of 49 3As had bottom mount Rads.� Not true.� It appears my late 49 fits into the category discussed in the last sentence.� It's an anomaly! 8-)


http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/date3a.htm
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:19:04 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
Tim - Funny that you should ask that question about the radiators. My bedtime reading last night was that exact page on BobW's site regarding production change to side mount radiators. This 3A is SN#31149 so it fits right in where it should.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:52:41 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
Cool.  My Willys #36662 has a bottom mount, thus my confusion.

By the way, great video.  What kind of camera are you using?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 05:48:10 AM »
Quote
By the way, great video.� What kind of camera are you using?

It's just the camera on my phone - a Galaxy S6. I'd like to get a GoPro but I'm afraid I'd never turn it off� ;D

I tinkered around a bit last night and was able to replace the air cleaner and air horn with the right ones. This 3A is filtering air once again:



I changed the oil and found that there's a good 1/2" of sludge on the bottom of the oil pan. No doubt I'll need to drop the pan and scrape it out. Any suggestions on how else to clean the motor if the pan is off? I've read about flushing with kerosene and other solvents but for as many tips as I've seen there seems to be an equal number of warnings about dislodging gobs of sludge that will clog up various passages and cause other serious problems. I don't want to do more harm than good.

The garage is looking the best it ever has right now� :D:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 05:50:44 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »
Nice! .... Twice as nice if you paint the wheel's. Engine sounded very smooth at 50mph, that has been a well kept machine. Too bad the PTO has been removed from the farm days.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »
I drove the 3A to the office today. I knew it would be a stretch but I couldn't resist. I overcame two breakdowns and one small fire but made it there and back home again without having to cash in a precious AAA tow.

FYI - if installing an electric fuel pump any subsequent owner will appreciate it if you do more than simply twist two wires together and leave them dangling and exposed. Jack up your asking price if need be but a couple inches of electrical tape can go a long way. Only you can prevent city fires.

Once I had doused the flames I unzipped the windows, let the cab air out, and rolled onward. It's a good Jeep.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 07:59:24 PM »
You just wanted a '49 to build your own Ted. ;) Your garage looks like mine with 3 jeeps in there! I put the '53 on the lift and drive  underneath it.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
Ryan,
Have I told you lately how much I enjoy reading your posts?

You freakin crack me up.  ;D.  Are you this much fun at parties?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A