The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: T98 to d18 shared oil?  (Read 60 times)

Offline DavidF

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
T98 to d18 shared oil?
« on: August 02, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »
Im sure I used to know this, but do they share oil? Its a pain to access the t case fill on my b, just wondering if I can overfill the transmission a smidge.
Thanks, Dave 

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: T98 to d18 shared oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 01:30:28 PM »
Quote from: DavidF
I’m sure I used to know this, but do they share oil? It’s a pain to access the t case fill on my b, just wondering if I can overfill the transmission a smidge.
Thanks, Dave 

David,
Do you have a T98 on your 3B?  I know the T90 shares oil on mine, but know nothing about the T98.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline DavidF

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 02:51:45 PM »
Yes, I swapped it in from a cj6 a few years ago. I pretty much never use first gear, but use second as its synchronized. Not sure if Id bother swapping it now

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:22:32 PM »
Quote from: DavidF
Yes, I swapped it in from a cj6 a few years ago. I pretty much never use first gear, but use second as its synchronized. Not sure if I’d bother swapping it now

(I'm quoting because your posts aren't visible and in case others want to see without logging out, like I need to, I quote to copy your posts)

David,
This helped.  I don't often reference my late Service Manual, SM-1046, but bought it as it covered CJ-3B also (plus CJ-5/5A and CJ-6/6A and the DJs too).  Sure enough, there was a section on the 4 speed T98.  I didn't see anything in that section, J1, that mentioned lubrication.  Checking the B section however, I found a note at the bottom of the page associated with the directions for lubricating the transmissions on the 4WD vehicles page.

8.  Transmission:
    3 Speed.....
    4 Speed °..... (notice the degree symbol)

At the bottom of the page the explanation:
" ° 4-Speed transmission and transfer case require separate lubrication of each unit." 

Both list GL-4 80wt. or 90wt.

Not what you wanted to read, I know.  If someone else knows differently, hopefully they check in.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline oldtime

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:49:32 PM »
The T98-A is sealed between the  transmission and transfer case.
The seal is actually located in the transmission to transfer case adapter plate.

Offline DavidF

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 04:02:29 PM »
Thanks everyone, i'll check them separately. I appreciate the help.
i need to redo my exhaust anyways, maybe i'll add a drop out section to make it easier