The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Cushman Scooter project  (Read 5192 times)

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Cushman Scooter project
« on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:55 AM »
I thought I had started something here a while back but probably not.  This is a 1946 Series 50 Cushman Step through scooter. My Dad brought it down from Ohio in the 70's and drove it around the neighborhood mostly to embarrass my sister who had friends in her car and they would say isn't that your Dad? We rode it off and on through the years and he put a lot of work into engine and sometimes just fixed things to keep it going. He died in 2003 and later that year my nephew drove it for Homecoming week at the High School so that was end until now. I brought it to my house some years ago thinking a quick turnaround but oh well and it is finally going to get finished. Here is the pic's I have taken or most of them and I have video of the engine running but have to figure out how to post video files. Since I have a workshop now I can get caught up.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=2823

Tried to upload video but hit a snag so later on that
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:03:22 PM by SteveW »
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Cushman Scooter project
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:54 AM »
I didn't know it was a thing, but after retiring back to Alabama, a guy I knew from HS is a Cushman collector (he's got over 20 I think) and they have reunions and rallies too.

As I was looking at your album, I noticed links to the side.  I copied the "medium" link (left click in window to highlight, then right click to copy) and then just pasted here.  You'll want to ensure it has the img and /img in brackets at the front and end of the address to make sure it posts.  Then preview to see if it works.

Nice!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:52:11 AM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:40 PM »
Apparently the video is in a format that I can't attach. My wife took it on her phone and sent it to me. It is a mov which won't load.  I know I can post all pic's from my album and have done it here a lot. Just see no point and later as new work is completed I will. Yes Cushman's are a fairly big deal and serious restorations can command big bucks.
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »
Big day today. I replaced my head bolts as I snapped 2 during retourqing. (sp) I was going to a while back as some disagreement about specs but did not and they were probably stressed. So anyway ran it on the stand and checked torque then put on body. Was only going to go 1 time around the lake we live on which is 1/2 mile but she ran good so I went twice then a couple of streets probably 4-5 miles. Babied it maybe 1/2 throttle but a very good ride smooth and no issues with anything. Still have to work on lights and hopefully the speedo but not important right now ;D

10 years older then me.

I doesn't need a key originally had a kill button on cooling shroud. I put a key on and kill it when it is turned like you would be trying to start an engine. Figure very few people know that and see switch with no key so they can't steal it. It also has a hole and a tab that I have a padlock which locks steering to frame. Thing I believe weighs 250lbs so it will not be a grab and go for thievery. Shame to have to think about things like that.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »
Very nice! Congrats with getting it running so well! 

A perfect vehicle to go get jeep parts with!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
I have a friend who has his Dad's Cushman. A '51 step through or bath tub model like yours. We rode it at Fort Meade SD growing up. My first motorcycle ride. That thing went pretty good for it's age. It had a two bar rail around the bottom of the bath tub. Like a protector bumper. The throttle was backwards. You turned it forward. It had a kick pedal to start it in front of the engine. I liked it. His Dad dated his mother with it. They both have passed away now, but the Cushman is still around. I think Sturgis has a national Cushman meet every summer. Different strokes for different folks. Thanks for posting, John

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 07:40:26 AM »
Oh man what a blast this is. Probably around 40 miles now and getting up there with the throttle. Am working on the lighting stuff now. It has a belt driven generator and don't know if it good or not and the steps to charge it are pretty weird to me. Trying to track down title which hopefully my Mom has. I have the tag renewal stuff. Talked my wife into a ride last night. 1/2 mile around lake but it is a start. They have a buddy seat set up so I will probably get it. We just set on the trunk but that is fine when you are younger.

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 06:17:18 AM »
Jeep guys are supposed to get the Tote Goat Cushman!  That was the trail model. As a kid the newspaper guy at Fort Meade had a purple painted Cushman Truckster. The 3 wheeler pickup model. Mailmen in big cities used them also. Cusmans are part of American history.  8)

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
Making more progress. I put the headlight back on and the generator installed and working. It is straight caveman. Just a housing and 2 pole generating voltage. The charging is very strange and supposedly if you disassemble it it loses charging ability. I didn't know it but when I had output lead soldered back in and figured what the heck we will see if it even works I got output of almost 10 volts. This is a 6 volt system and I tried to decrease output by the service manual with no success. The headlight lamps are scarce and expensive. I paid 32.00 for one and am not going to burn it up on over voltage. I put in a 12 volt lamp and it works fine plus I use them in yard lighting for my work and they are way cheaper. Also have an abundance of 12 volt tail light bulbs. Here is the generator set up and there is a little part that attaches on the head bolt and then a round bar you throw to front and it lights the generator to engage the belt and you throw it to rear to release belt.

Here is headlight on. Shakes pretty good now as I have body off and rear jacked up to keep it from running.

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 10:16:19 AM »
I have 4 holes in body and not sure why. They had accessory rails but believe they were lower down. Any way catalog shows then unavailable and there is one but over 300.00 for it and not spending money on that. I am making a little piece just to give it a little contrast and think it will turn out o.k.

This is the right side and I have the other partially bent and will finish then I can weld them and clean and paint then bolt them on body

Hopefully I can get title squared away soon and tag it legally to ride on road. Don't need motorcycle endorsement as it's only 4 horse.

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 10:21:02 AM »
I will stick to street model Cushman's since I have it in hand and family history.  ;)  The posts office here had the 3 wheel cushmans with closed storage behind cab I think they actually called them Mailsters. anyway they auctioned them off in mid 70's and snapped up by High School kids. You would see them zipping around with a ton of people in them sometimes 10 or so like a mobile phone booth.

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »
Well it is registered, tagged and insured so watch out now 8) I have one nagging issue that I had the coil wire to the condenser hot end rubbed on the flywheel and grounded out and killed things. I thought I had managed to reroute it but was zipping around and same thing again yesterday. I had to walk it home about 3/4 mile. Plus had to stop and talk to 2 guys who had seen me on other trips ask me about it. Took a bit. Not a lot of room for wires and I can't find any good pics in my manual of the routing. A guy on the Gee has pulled his engine and will let me know what his looks like. Anyway small things are going to pop up.

The little bars look pretty good. I call them Bling Bars. still not sure why the holes were there maybe reflectors at some point through the years. not a factory thing as the other little rails were lower and on the fancier stuff later.

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
I have assembled a tool kit for the Cushman now. Most from Don H on the Gee and some I have picked up. I have the canvas pieces that were cut out from my 3a top and am going to get a tool roll/pouch made. Keep in trunk.

Offline Rus Curtis

• Willys Guru
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 09:32:23 PM »
Very cool!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveW

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 10:14:04 PM »
Well after a lot of fiddling and testing and replacing I am convinced I have problem with magneto weak winding's. I have searched a bit but not much on if they can be remagnetized or not. I have one source for some knowledge to call but anyone who knows more about magnetos can pipe up or contact me.