The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Pre oiling engine  (Read 1141 times)

Offline tow hook

Re: Pre oiling engine
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
long story be short, i put in another pump with out a gear, and used a drill to turn it. it was all  ok . the gauge i had got at auto zone wasn't working. so i spent 30-40 days dealing  with a bad gauge. hope to make fire today. thanks to every one who helped.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
bad equipment = frustration!

Glad you got it figured out! 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline tow hook

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2020, 02:08:29 PM »
scene my last post i was able to make pressure. i had the gear off the pump, and turned it with a drill took 30 seconds or longer to make pressure, out the pump back in, and no psi. the pump was dry.

i made a  tool a 5/8th fine thread bolt to go in place on the over pressure cap, with a 1/8" hole to use a hand pump oil can to put oil in to the pump, and still notta.

the oil pan is down, and i heated up the oil pick up, as per a tip i got the other day. oil sticks to the screen, and cloggs it. so the pump can't suck up any oil. and why when using the drill it had the delay before i had pressure..... so i had 2 table spoons of a tar like substance drain out, and a lot of smoke ! once the pan is up, and i hit the key i'll let ya know how it went.

fyi i started this in jan ,  might sell or trade it soon ? if i can't get  pressure

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2020, 02:30:10 PM »
Well, that is discouraging.  You mentioned the oil pick-up.  Are you sure it's clean?  Many of us have horror stories about the crap we find in the screen.
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:39 PM »
I had to rebuild mine.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C