The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: project: crunchy roll (53 cj3a)
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »
Thanks! I like how scrappy it looks. Especially with it's "black eye". It's like when the shuttle or a capsule comes back to Earth with the burn marks all over it - you know it's been places :)

I'm thinking that I'd be perfectly happy keeping the paint in its current condition and having everything underneath mechanically sound. The only issue is that I have some areas with split metal that need repair, and that hood needs a good bit of shrinking. I'll try to shrink from the underside, but there will probably be heat discoloration afterward :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:36:50 PM by Squishymonster »

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »
I've been making progress on the carburetor operation, and made a video of the engine running for Scoutpilot to evaluate. I'll post it here as well. (Thanks Scoutpilot!)

All previous rides mentioned in this thread were with almost full choke due to various carburetor issues, so my insecurity in my own ability to eventually address those issues has weighed on me a bit the whole time. Now it feels great to have made it past that obstacle.

As for an update, after I drilled the aftermarket idle jet and had a good idle, I found out the next day that it revealed a new issue with the accelerator pump circuit, which was also being masked by the choke. This turned out to be much easier to track down. The pump could not take its full stroke due to a couple internal restrictions, so on acceleration and deceleration its movement was significantly delayed and shortened. I got that fixed up, and then took the video. It's a bit long. only jeep geeks might find it interesting.

Right after the video I went for the longest test drive yet. Still plenty of other issues to work through, but at least for now, none of them are engine related. I am starting to think about suspension so the jeep doesn't sound like a truck full of scrap metal when I drive over the bumps in our farm roads. I also have some aftermarket floor seals and covers to install to try to isolate some of the noise to the underside.

I also have my 48 CJ2a "pile" up in WI at my parents. I am starting to think more and more about just turning it into spare parts for the 53 since there is no title or frame, but we will see. I'm planning a trip in a couple of weeks to snag a bunch of it. At very least, the transfer case is going to get rebuilt and will make a temporary home in the 53 later this year (?)

Now maybe I can get back to installing that new sender and gas gauge :D

https://youtu.be/JWnSThHfhF4

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
Brought my analog wheel wobble checker for a ride today. It looks like just the rear left has wobble. I have it up on jack stands now, checking things out, but a storm rolled in.

Now that I have bumpers (did I ever post that?..) I can get the wheels off the ground a whole heck of a lot faster with the high-lift. It's a real treat. And I can fit the jack stands where I'd otherwise have to lift with the bottle jacks.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 12:01:55 AM »
I'm trying out JB Weld steering wheel repair.

After this cures tomorrow, I will start sanding and see how it works out. It was in pretty rough shape.

After patching with putty, I spread the liquid version over all of the exposed plastic since most of it is delaminated and rough to the touch.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 12:04:37 AM by Squishymonster »

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 10:28:49 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of JB Weld.  If not "quick set", it must have taken forever to fill in those spaces.  I think I would have used the Marine resin based body filler with fiberglass strands for the gaps and JB for the cracks.  Great JB W commercial if it holds up.  I hope you'll share the final product.
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »
Just finished a custom receiver.

Offline Squishymonster

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
I'm at my parents for the week and finally brought my trailer up to scoop up the 48 CJ2A engine/trans/transfer. The plan is to rebuild these one by one and swap them in.

In other news, my custom reciever bent my bumper a bit due to the weight of the hay on my trailer. I'm going to plug in a heavy piece of channel to beef it up a bit.