First off, I have searched and read a lot since I have found this forum. Thank you to all who have contributed. I come to this with experience in AMC and newer Jeeps, but this is my first Willys. (Are they like Lays potato chips?) First off, this is the 608th CJ3A made as a 1952. My username is off, because the title states that it is a 1951. I believe this stems from the fact that it went into the US Navy in 12 of 1951. I assume the Navy sold it as a 1951. I am not particularity worried about that aspect. I have the full Navy dataplate and it completely matches the Willys plate on the firewall. I have found that there are a few of these CJ3A's that served non combat use in the USN, but not sure what role this Jeep played. I have read that 3a's the USN ordered, had the bottom mount radiator. This Jeep appears to support that.(pardon the pun) I am not aware of any other special equipment that the USN 3A's received.
Here are a few pics, and the list of obvious changes over the years:
Seats
Steering column/wheel.
Front bumper.
Top bows.
Several switches/gauges
Selecto hubs.
Warn OD.
Carburetor.
Radiator.
12V with Alternator
Small Flange block with 1948 head casting number. (block numbers question below)
Fuel tanks and loss of tool box.
Custom Yellow paint.



I believe I have figured out several things, but have a few questions:
1) Can anyone shed light on the tailgate? It doesn't match any of the options I have found here:
http://cj3b.info/Dating/DatingTailgates.html The brackets on the inside are definately spot welded on like a factory would do. However, there is no Willys script, or "notches" on the outside...



2) Does this all look like a bottom mount rad crossmember to you? (clearly, I understand that the cross flow isn't original)

3) Steering box/ column. I am pretty sure chrome is wrong. Steering wheel is wrong. Question: is the box also wrong? The floor is sure chopped up around the column.



4) Engine block is a small flange variety. Head had a casting date in 1948. Number over the water pump is all gone but for a 2. I assume that this stems from machine work on the 'deck'. There is a number stamped on the RH side, front, just below the head. Anyone know if this number means anything?


5) The foot starter has a bell crank arrangement that moves the "button" over very close to the gas pedal. There is a lot of holes torched into the tub on both sides of this. Seems wrong to me.



That is the bulk of the questions I have now. I am sure there will be more later.... Plans for it? restore it to it's US Navy appearance. I do not plan to swap out the carb or the block unless they are somehow failing to perform. I want it to be 'stock', but not 'take it to military shows and have everything perfect'. My Vietnam era Navy veteran is quite excited to see something besides Olive Drab in parades. Heck, he is having trouble finding Jeeps at all for parades. I suspect that is what this will mostly do. I will own it, but, I feel that it really belongs to those who have served. I will make it look as close to original as possible, put as nice a paint job as seems prudent(thinking I will need a really tough base clear or single stage), add the numbers and loan it out every time I am asked.
Here are a few shots of the original gray.



Thank you in advance,
Mike G.