The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Door measurement  (Read 22090 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
Ok so I supposedly have some upper mounts on the way.  I think if I were able to get a few measurements from a few samples and take an average, I should be able to mount them exactly where they should go.

1 yellow-the angle between the window frame and the barrel of the mount.

2 orange-the distance between the window frame straight out to the outside edge of the barrel.

3 red-the distance to the bottom of the mount to the top of the horizontal bar where the wipers would mount.

Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 06:47:52 AM »
I grabbed a tape measure and headed for the barn to measure an M-38. The red dimension centered on the windshield frame is 10-1/2". Couldn't get the orange dimension because the end of the tape measure hits on the rubber. I don't have any good idea on measuring the angle. I'm thinking if the top pivot is inline with the bottom pivot it will work good.
Bob W

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 08:25:18 AM »
I have been told by a friend that on his M38, the welded on hinge's leading flat front edge is right inline with the rope channels leading front edge.  Not the barrel, the flat portion.  If that is true on all rigs, this would automatically set the dimension for both orange and yellow, leaving only red to worry about.  Make sense?
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »
I got the same measurement for red.  10 1/2".  Pictured earlier in this thread. 

I'm not sure I follow the placement instructions from your friend.  I don't know if it helps, but here is an outside view of the doors installed.

Tim

2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
Since you're getting an old original set, I'm almost thinking that the leading edge of the top door socket will help set the correct angle.

Tim 
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
Maybe this will help...keep in mind this is a 3a so maybe all bets are off....

The one picture shows the front edge of the door bracket aligned with the front edge of the canvas channel flange....

Are the dimples still there where the spot welds may have been?


« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:27:03 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 01:56:34 PM »
I'm getting new hinge brackets that have been made up by Midwest Military. 
Please excuse my rudimentary drawing but this is the edge I was talking about.  If I get these placed where they are supposed to be, the placement of the door pins on the door frames should be easy to figure out.

Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 02:06:40 PM »
Randy, I posted this during and after your post.  You are the #2 saying those edges line up.  I'm just going to worry about the up and down measurement.  I'm confident that will get that mount where it should be.  There is no dimples.  In fact when I did my restore a while back, the previous owner just hacked it and the section of rope channel behind it out, leaving a gap.  I filled it with a piece of metal.  Its all smooth and no evidence of anything was ever there.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »
Looked at the M38 again and the front of the bracket lines up with the channel.
Bob W

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »
OK guys, got my hinge brackets and set them up this way and that way and I think I'm pretty sure where I'm going to place them.
Can I be a pesky fly and ask if I can get someone to measure from the bottom leading edge point of the bracket to the top of the cross bar of the windshield.  Trying to measure from the center and get it at 10.5 is hard as its hard to eyeball.  If I get a ruler in there, I can get a solid measurement from the that bar to the bottom leading point of the bracket.  A tape is a bit more difficult it seems.  It still still be close to 10.5 "

Thanks,
Brett
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 08:08:26 AM »
Is this the measurement you are looking for? I get 10-7/16". This is a '51 3A windshield. My only M38 windshield is out getting sandblasted.




« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:21:56 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 10:42:29 AM »
YEP!
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »
Just because it's raining and I'm bored, I measured both sides of my windshield.....

10 3/8" on the drivers side, and 10 1/2" on the passengers side....

So Ryan's is right in the middle.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »
From all that have contributed, it looks like there was a little tolerance in the hinge positions.
I got measurements from 10 5/16" to 10 1/2".  Think I will just attach them at 10.5 and call it good.
Had to pay $15 a piece  :o  Not like me to buy something so pricey.  Just haven't had time to work on it.  Working on my son's gokart it eating shop time ;D
Brett
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: Door measurement
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
Ya gotta be good at 10.5", you remember even my dims were +- 1/4". With the hinges you can determine the pin locs.� If ya don't have the skins built by next time we meet we can make a fullsize template from mine.� Glad the boy's go kart project is coming along-you gotta build a mini M38 body for it!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:42:16 AM by MC51986 »
OD MULE MC51986