now I've been doing a little resarch on the T-90...mine has a noise with the OD installed...
Anyway, I found quite a spirited discussion on the 2a forum, and here is one post..
Quote According to Novak it should have some end play.
Novak is wrong, or you've mis-interpreted what they said.
According to Willys, there is ZERO end play.� If some end play were required, IT WOULD BE SPECIFIED IN THE SERVICE MANUALS (there is no such specification).� If "shims" were part of standard assembly procedure, THEY WOULD BE LISTED WITH PARTS NUMBER IN THE PARTS LISTS (there are no such parts).� If "setting" endplay were standard procedure, THE PROCEDURE WOULD BE DESCRIBED IN THE SERVICE MANUALS (there is no such procedure).
This "mainshaft end play" issue has occured before and has been nipped in the bud.� It's important to have the correct facts when explaining technical issues, particularly for people who may not be familiar with transmissions at all, much less the T-90.
THE T-90 MAINSHAFT HAS NO END PLAY!
The mainshaft is solidly clamped to the inner bearing race by the bull gear & nut.
The outer bearing race is solidly clamped between the transmission & transfer case.
At this point, the MAIN SHAFT CANNOT MOVE FORWARD OR BACKWARD at all.
Quote Setting at "0" means your jamming the outer race against the balls and the inner race and that means the bearing will overheat.
Nonsense.� There is NO axial loading on the bearing at all (unless something ELSE has been assembled incorrectly).
Quote I was told there is a Willys service bulletin somewhere ... there may be a spec somewhere but I am not going to look for it.
Yes there is: Service Bulletin 49-30.� It has been published here for over 3 years.
The paragraph you're talking about, and which I alluded to earlier, is:
(I guess this was a picture of the bulletin and it didn't copy, but it mentions the distance the syncro slider needs to move)
It has NOTHING TO DO with any "end play".� It is ONLY about proper engagement between 2nd. gear & syncro collar.� It is a service expedient (band-aid), to compensate for out of tolerance components.� With or without the shim, MAINSHAFT END PLAY IS STILL ZERO!
The entire discussion is here....
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/transmission-rebuild_topic20469.htmlWith the output gear firmly in place I have no endplay that i can feel...without the gear in place I can move the output shaft noticeably....
But I don't know what it all means....I've only got 500 miles on my tranny....