The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Starting  (Read 3145 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Operation Overlord

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Starting
« on: July 13, 2014, 04:54:29 AM »
How long does it take your Jeep to start? I have a 6 volt 3A that after sitting for a week or two takes a long time to crank up. I'm talking 3 to 4 cranking iterations of 5-10 seconds each, sometimes longer.�

I have a fresh Walcks Carter that I replaced recently hoping to fix the problem. Fuel pump is new too as is entire fuel system. Feels like fuel in carb is evaporating or draining while sitting. Or maybe it's normal. I don't know. I've only seen one other Willys start. That was a 12v 2a with electronic distributor. Fires up nearly instantly.� Oh, I static timed the engine using flywheel marks as well. Same result.
1949 CJ3A, KTM 300XC-W (sold), 73 Honda CT90

Offline scoutpilot

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 291
  • Karma: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:31:18 AM »
Are you using the choke? If you don't use these jeeps on on a regular basis, yes the bowl will dry out.
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline Operation Overlord

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:32:45 AM »
Yes, using choke.
1949 CJ3A, KTM 300XC-W (sold), 73 Honda CT90

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »
What I do is pump the accelerator four or five times, pull the choke out about half way or more if it's cold out, and it starts pretty quickly. Sometimes it will die or I'll need to pull the choke out further to keep it running. I push the choke back in a little at a time, but I have it all the way in as soon as possible, probably just a minute or two...

This would be for the first start of the day...a pump of the accelerator is usually all it needs after sitting for just a few hours...

it's a 6 volt system....stock points, coil etc..static timed like yours...

When it sat for a while over the winter it took more cranking to get it going...more like what you describe....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:13:23 AM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 12:23:26 PM »
Both of mine fire right up. Ted is still 6 volt and he starts immediately after hitting the foot starter. When he is cold, I have to pump the gas once. My '53 needs to be choked when cold then starts no problem after that.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
My jeep is lot like my son when he was 19, if he sat too long you had to choke him to get him moving, if he had only sat for a bit a little kick was all it took  ;D ;D ;D
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
How does it sound when cranking?� If fairly slow, it could be an electrical issue verses a fuel issue...or a combination of both fuel and electrical.

6 volt systems need to have a fully charged battery, heavy "0" or "00" battery cables, and very clean grounds.� If the cranking is slow, it may take longer for the mechanical fuel pump to fill the supply lines and fuel bowl while working to replace the evaporated fuel.

Just another thing to consider.

Tim



2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Operation Overlord

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Starting
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »
Well, sounds like i have some work yet. I want to get it to fire up much faster. I'll try and post a video of it starting in the next couple of days. See what y'all think.
1949 CJ3A, KTM 300XC-W (sold), 73 Honda CT90