The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: New Tub Arrived  (Read 25128 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CJPilot

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 177
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Shade Tree Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:02:04 AM »
Looking good.

 On the right fender issue, I had to drill out the spot welds and move the brace to get my fender to line up. Wasn't that bad to do if I remember.

Steve

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
Quote
Looking good.

 On the right fender issue, I had to drill out the spot welds and move the brace to get my fender to line up. Wasn't that bad to do if I remember.

Steve

I'd like to ask you guys to contact Rommel about this issue if you haven't already....He is eager to correct the faults from what I have seen, and is a member on most of the jeep pages out there.� Photos of the trouble areas may help as well as a serial number from the tub. Thanks!

Edit: I sent Rommel an email with a link to this thread. I'm sure he will be participating in the discussion.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:21:41 AM by F_Bill »
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
I'll be repeating this in a couple years--so I heartily endorse the comment that you pass any problems on to Rommel & MD Juan.

-Paul

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »
I second CJPilot.� Drill out the welds and move the channel support.� If it were a fraction off, I would consider enlarging the holes in the channel.

I noticed your steering column. Not a problem!� On original Willys Jeeps, they used circular shims, between the steering box and frame, to center the steering column.� Very easy fix.

Tim

Oh, wanted to add... make sure you have the body mounts in place.� They will change the geometry a bit.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:10:17 AM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:28 PM »
I also had to enlarge one of the fender mounting holes to get a good fit.  At the time, it was one of the minor fixes I had to make so I didn't really think much about it.  Mine was only 1/8" off though..

Offline Rommel_Juan

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
I'm here!! I will have the team check on the issues and get back to you.

Cheers!
Rommel

Offline Rommel_Juan

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline Steve

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • First Project
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »
Wow, now the pressure is on. I went back to the workspace tonight to think about the fender and it's issues. Here is what I learned:

1. I don't think that the issue is with the placement of the support. A few measurements indicate that it should be positioned correctly relative to everything else. I won't know for sure until the fender is mounted.

2.� The problem appears to be interference with the bottom of the fender and the battery holder. Here is my reasoning.� Take a look at the following picture. The original fender is on the left, the new on the right. Note the area on each photo that I highlighted. On the old fender the edge of the fender is aligned with the bracket. On the new fender, the edge of the fender extends beyond (left in this picture) the bracket. This area extended beyond the bracket hits the battery holder and possibly the frame, thus preventing alignment and fender attachment.
�

The good news is that some judicious removal of sheet metal should make things work out. I probably won't get to this stage until the weekend. As a further note, it does appear that the old fender would work fine, so the fitment issue is not due to the tub or tub alignment.

Rommel, if you are interested in my old fender to use as a reference, I would be happy to figure out a way to get it to you.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:59:37 PM by marblecreek »
1950 CJ3A Mostly Stock

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 12:22:18 AM »
What's wrong with your original fender other than the brace?  That's an easy fix to.  From what I can see in the picture, the fender looks to be in good shape.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Steve

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • First Project
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 12:47:26 AM »
Battery acid has chewed the crap out of the area under and surrounding the brace the entire vertical length. There are other issues as well.  That isn't to say a more skilled individual than I could fix it up.
1950 CJ3A Mostly Stock

Offline ZekeD

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 218
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:20 PM »
Very nice.  Hope the fender is an easy fix.

Zeke
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline Rommel_Juan

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 47
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
Hi Steve,

Will look into that fender skirt issue. No need to supply me with your original fender, we have several samples in the plant.

Cheers,
Rommel

Offline PeterL

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 08:38:23 AM »
Steve,

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tub.  Who did you buy this one from?  I would like to make sure I don't buy a tub that has been sitting around for years.

Thanks,


Offline Steve

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • First Project
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 05:40:29 PM »
Dear Peter,

Sorry to take so long to reply. Work has intervened with the project. However, I did drop all of the bits off at the paint shop today  :).

I purchased the tub from Walcks. It was drop shipped from the distributor.

Steve

1950 CJ3A Mostly Stock

Offline PeterL

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: New Tub Arrived
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
Thanks Steve!