The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Battery Disconnect Switch  (Read 10188 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Battery Disconnect Switch
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
I've been looking for a disconnect switch. I always unhook the positive side of the battery when I park but a switch that could be actuated from the passenger compartment sure would save wear and tear on the hood.....

I bought a Taylor...it was enormous...I sent it back...

Has anyone used one of those remote solenoids that are activated by a micro switch ?

If I could find a continuous duty solenoid I could make up something like this..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-500834/overview/


« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:28:58 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline p3ferris

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 249
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:30 PM »
I have 2 of them in my jeep.  They are a silver switch that have a handle that moves side to side.  The reason I have 2 is they had 2 gen. and 2 batts.  They were set up to have 6v or 12v in series.  Flip one way and they disconnect flip the other way and they connect.  Flip them both on there was 12v to start farm equipt.

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
Starting amps can exceed the 110 A rating of that relay. I suggest what ever disconnect relay you use that you bypass the relay with cables for the starter because starting amps may exceed 200 amps under certain conditions.

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »
Thanks Carl....I was wondering what the starting amps might be and whether or not the relay could handle it.....

I think I may just get one of those disconnects that attach directly to the battery post and have the knurled knob....simpler, reliable and easily bypassed if needed.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »
1955CJ
I guess I don't understand why you want to do that?  Do you have some parasitic leakage that drains the battery between uses? 
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
I just do it...I have an old MG and one other jeep besides the 3a and I disconnect the battery's when they sit for any period of time...they are all in storage units and it's just an easy precaution against short circuits and potential fire as the circuits aren't fused....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:48:56 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
I leave my '53s battery hooked up all winter.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »
What about this? You can hide it under the dash. I would drill a hole through the firewall and put someplace that can be easily reached.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-74101/overview/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:39:23 PM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Lee

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 123
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Will-is enthousiast
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
I am a firm believer in a "Masterswitch", I have one in my M-715, The reason being, the floor starter switch, if a kid climbs in to your rig and steps on it, and it's in gear, someone could get hurt. Also nice to disconnect for long storage. My favorite is a Caterpillar master switch, and it has a key, Pollock and Cole Hersey also make them. Relays are very common on heavy equipment, or Master Disconnect relays, and work flawlessly, Most are 24 volt but I am sure with a little digging you can find them in 6 and 12 volt.

MHO, Lee ;)
American Engineered Rolling History

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »
I had one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-1032-Master-Disconnect-2-Post/dp/B000CPZZ44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389227554&sr=8-1&keywords=Taylor+Cable+1032+Master+Disconnect+2-Post+Switch

The trouble is that it was just huge...over 3" across and just as deep.

There is an unused hole in the firewall already, just above the starter and alongside the inboard air cleaner mount...It's just a little tight in there...

Something will turn up, or I'll just keep disconnecting the battery....

The picture shows the hole.....and by the way, is there supposed some sort of support for the temp gauge capillary tube that bolts to the air cleaner bracket? you can see the hole in the bracket just under my hand...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:42:13 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
My '49 had something there I think... I'll have to look through some pics.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »
Nope, nothing goes there. I think it was something for the 2As or MBs. I've seen something there but I can't remember what the heck it was.

Isn't there another hole further down that is unused too?
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
All the other holes are used...but I could re-route the harness or the temp gauge line....or drill a new hole.

I'll think of something.....there are remote switches that are operated by a push/pull rod....I'd just like it to be near the starter to keep the cable length to a minimum....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline ZekeD

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 218
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
Ok..  On an old Porsche, the starter was always a problem.  There is a Bosch wr-1 kit to relay the hot juice to the starter and not thru the key.  Like the willys....  Vw vans had the same problem.  From the 912 site
The idea here is to introduce a relay into the starting circuit to lessen the chances of your bus not starting when it's hot. Picture the path the current from the battery must take to start your bus: From the battery all the way up to the fuse box, through the ignition switch, and all the way back to the solenoid. You've got 20 yr old wires, dirty corroded connections, and a hot solenoid, ensuring that you definitely won't get enough juice to start the car. By adding a relay into the circuit, we are improving that electrical path.

Supplies needed: 1 Bosch WR-1 low-voltage relay kit. This is a relay made specifically for this purpose and comes with the wiring already made up with the right connectors. It also comes with a 15-amp fuse for the relay.

OK, here's what you do:

1) DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. Don't screw around with your starter with the battery connected. Death or serious injury follows when you accidentally short the connections and the starter cranks the bus which you left in gear and it promptly runs you over because you're laying right in front of the wheel.

2) You may want to jack up the bus a little, might help you reach. Look on your starter. You will see one of the post connectors, terminal 30, has a bunch of wires going to it, big fat ones. This post gives you your direct connection to the battery. Take the 13mm nut off the post and put the appropriate wire from the relay kit there. The relay kit comes with good instructions as to which wire is supposed to go where. This wire will have a push-on terminal on one end and a ring connector on the other.

3) Put the 13mm nut back on terminal 30, you're done there. Now, pull the wire from the ignition switch off of the solenoid. Fuel injected buses have two wires up there, the Idiot book has a nice picture of which one is ignition and which is fuel injection. I think the thicker one is ignition, but I won't swear to it. Anyway, take the ignition switch wire off and put it on the relay terminal for switch current. this is what will activate the relay.

4) Hook up the wire that goes from the relay to the ignition switch terminal on the solenoid (again referring to the relay instructions. This one will have a push-on connector on each end.

5) Mount the relay somewhere convenient. I mounted mine to one of the long screws that you find at the rear of the starter. Mount it with the terminals facing down so that water will have a place to go and not collect inside the relay.

6) Now you have to hook up one more wire, the ground. This one will have a ring connector on one end and a push-on on the other end. Ground it to any bare metal area within reach. I seem to recall grounding mine under the same starter screw that I mounted it with.

6) Check every now and then to make sure your connections stay corrosion free and all that.

The Bosch relay comes with a 15-amp blade-type fuse mounted to the relay. If you turn the key and nothing happens, check this fuse as you might have blown it. If the fuse is blown, that means your solenoid itself needs attention. The solenoid is sticking and is drawing much more current than it should be to get going. Do not replace the fuse with a higher amperage fuse. Bite the bullet and get the solenoid replaced. It's a good idea to also keep a couple of these blade-type 15-amp fuses as spares in the glovebox, since nowhere else on the Bus are blade-type fuses used.

OK, here's what you did. Picture the flow of the electricity now: You've taken the wire from the ignition switch that used to trip the solenoid off the solenoid and are now using that 12v signal to trip the relay. Even if there is a voltage drop you are still likely to have enough juice to trip the relay. Then you hooked up a wire to the big post on the starter, which is power directly from the battery about a foot away. Then you hooked another wire from the relay to the ignition switch terminal on the solenoid. Now instead of getting your power to the solenoid by way of Outer Mongolia, it's going directly from the battery to the solenoid, enabling you to get all the juice you need right to the solenoid. Now the ignition switch current only acts as a signal to tell the relay to send the power to the solenoid. As a side bonus this may help your ignition switch last longer as there will be much less electrical load on it.

OK, those are my instructions above. Now here are the instructions that come with the Bosch WR-1 kit. They were sent to me by Jeff Stewart and credit for the scans goes to Barry Burneskis. These should help clarify the process with the appropriate connections to the Bosch relay.
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline ZekeD

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 218
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Disconnect Switch
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:47:08 PM »
Oops, no Bosch link....
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.