The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Pinion bearing and chipped gear  (Read 2131 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Pinion bearing and chipped gear
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:27:28 AM »
I'm trying to decide which bearings to replace and which to keep (to save a few bucks).

Here's the inner pinion bearing (from the D41 rear axle):


That little dent is leaving a mark on the roller.  I can't feel it with my finger, and the bearing moves very smoothly.  If I was just basing it on feel, I'd keep the bearing.  But I'm, inclined to replace it.  Your thoughts?

And problem #2, there's a chip in the pinion (still on the rear D41):


This worries me.  But the chip is right at the end.  The contact patch appears to be in the middle of the gear--and doesn't extend to the end.  So is the chip critical, or can I reuse this part?  (I'd really rather not shell out 300 bucks for a new one!)

Thanks,

-Paul

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:58:20 AM »
I'd clean off the burr and use the bearing. The chip looks like metal may have been in and chipped it in the past.

Offline stony

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
I would not worry about either.� Looks like the chipped area was ground down after it happened.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:24:55 PM by stonyloam »
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
Agreed, run me both.  In 30 years someone will be asking the same thing.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline PaulS

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 271
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Pinion bearing and chipped gear
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
Okay, I'll keep them both.� But I will grind down the edges of the chip.� (Terry--it doesn't look to me that it's been ground already.  But I have the benefit of a close look at it, and not just the one picture.)

Thanks,

-Paul
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:55:18 PM by PaulS »