The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Overcharging  (Read 9483 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Overcharging
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
My 49 started to charge the battery at 50 amps today on the ride to work. I had a spare voltage regulator that I put in it and it is still doing the same thing. What could be causing this?
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »
Internal short in the battery?

Just a guess....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »
My guess, the generator is "full fielding". First thought would be stuck overcurrent relay contacts in the regulator, but sense it's been changed, I would look for a short to ground in the field circuit wiring between the generator and regulator (very possible) or a internal short between ground and the field coils inside the generator itself (not as likely, but still possible). After charging 50 amps on a 35 amp genny,� I would pull the brush cover band and look for evidence of thrown soldier from the commentator, just as a precaution. As usual, this is a W.A.G. Hope it helps!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:53:49 PM by gmcjr »
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
I was thinking maybe the Same thing Gary. The harness between the gen. and voltage reg is really crummy. It is the original and the insulation is all cracked and decayed. Fortunately, I have a spare new one I can throw on and age to match the rest of the wiring if it is the problem.  ;)
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline gmcjr

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Even a blind hog finds a acorn every now and then.
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
Hopefully it's a easy fix, I'm sure the wiring is way past its prime.
Gary in N. Texas
51 CJ-3A (old Trusty)
52 Ford 8n (ugly duckling)
46Farmall B (old Rusty)
18 Wrangler Jk

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »
Well, the old harness was still good. I put the new one in anyways. It was still overcharging. I put the generator on it from my '53 (since I switched it to an alternator) and the problem went away mostly. It is still charging at 20 amps or so, but with the lights on and high beams, it brings it down to 5 amps. At an idle (no lights), it is zero, lights on, it showing a discharge of 5-10 amps. I still have the somewhat burned up spare voltage regulator in, so that might be the rest of the issue. I'm surprised the original generator from my '53 still works! It hasn't been used in years.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Quebec Jeep

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1193
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-3A 1950
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:22 PM »
They were made in US!
I'm jeepcoholic!

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:49:35 AM »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline stony

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:16:51 AM »
I know I am new here and I could get in trouble for this but IMHO that is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen ! ;).  Sounds like your problem might be more than just the generator.  If it is your generator you could have it rebuilt for that price.
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:04:14 AM »
I'm running a delco 10si 12v alternator on my '53 and love it. I is nice to have good lights at an idle. ;)

When I swapped generators, the problem went away mostly. It is still charging high, but I think that is because of the bad regulator I have now.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline stony

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
Yeah it is nice to have good lights at 2000 rpm too, good thing you don't have to see too far ahead in a CJ3. ;)  But I am a 6V guy all the way, don't want to spin that starter too fast and adds some drama to your life, will she or won't she?
Terry
1949 CJ3A 11159 body 11225 engine 11140
On preservation vs. restoration:Roscoe Lee Brown "the Cowboys" when he met the whores on the trail:"Well, I have the inclination, but not the time”.

Offline Rus Curtis

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 340
  • Karma: +6/-1
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
Just to add my .02 cents worth (and that's all it really is worth), you wouldn't be "fixing" it by using the alternator.  You would be altering it by using a different component.  Those alternators wear out also and will also have to be fixed. 

IMHO, I'd check in with an electrical shop to see if they can repair your equipment for less.  That way you'll know if the alternator swap out is worth the price.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:06:19 PM »
To kill this, I took the voltage regulator from our 8N and put it in while hooked to the old generator from my '53. It charged perfectly. I'm still going with the alternator though just because I am going to be driving this a lot.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »
I put the alternator in. It works great!

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
Looks great, Nice and clean using existing bracketry.
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B