The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Overcharging  (Read 9480 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Thanks! I didn't use the original bracketry though. I made a steel bushing that took the place of the rubber one on the front engine plate and then made a bracket similar to this one on the 3B page. I did this for my '53 also, but in 12v.

You can use the original wire from the voltage regulator that goes to the battery. I had to take a chainsaw file and open the hole up some so it would fit on the alternator terminal.



http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/alternator.html
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:31:52 AM by garage_gnome »
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
What did you use for a belt, Nate? Is it the same width as the stock belt with a wide pulley on the alternator?

Would like to see your bracket if you have a pic of it. If not I get the idea....

Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
I used a B sized belt. It was what I had.

The bracket isn't too pretty. I wanted to try to make it look like is was cobbled together at a maintence facility for forest service vehicles. It kind of matches the oil filter bracket. The one on my 53 looks much nicer and is of the same design.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
I left the original voltage regulator in place too to make it abandoned in place.



And then here is someone's oil filter bracket. I added the new support rod to it. These types of modifications have that maintence garage look to them.

Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 10:46:33 AM »
That oil filter bracket looks like the same one I have seen many times on plow equipped jeeps where they had to move the oil filter to the fender.

Is a B Belt the same as stock or narrower? I don't know belt sized by letter...
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
Narrower. The correct size for the alternator pulley though.

This jeep never had a plow. I think the oil filter was moved for ease of changing the filter.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »
Here are pics of my nice clean Alt. instalation.  ;D Super bubba at his best.

Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline Carls_jeep

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1746
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • ...
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
That was a good move Nate. Going to a 6v alternator solved the problem and it will charge at idle now.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »
Yeah it was! Last night I was out four wheeling with some friends and the lights were super bright! I was really happy with it.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Quote
Yeah it was! Last night I was out four wheeling with some friends and the lights were super bright! I was really happy with it.

6 V lights were super bright?? Sounds too good to be true..

That's right... you are one of them young whippersnappers, that can actually still see, aren't ya... ;D :D ;)

Did you get the alternator from the ebay dude or did you find a better local source?
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »
I got it from the ebay dude. 8) The lights were far better than before when the generator was functioning properly.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »
Just wanted to give an update. The 6 volt alternator is the way to go if you want to stay 6 volt but have better lights. It has been working great and no more stupid generator issues to worry about!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
Nate,
I went to the single wire alternator several years ago, never looked back. I had converted mine to 12 volts in order to be able to use modern accessories like winches and lights, haven't gotten that far yet , but I do like the reliability of the alternator.  And if you have to its pretty easy to convert it back.
Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Overcharging
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »
I did a delco 10si (single wire) 12v alternator swap on my '53 years ago. Love it and I'll never swap that back.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted