The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: rear end rumble  (Read 4482 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
rear end rumble
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:06:45 PM »
I took the cj3a for a ride to today and every time I let off the gas there is a loud noise and rumble that sounds like it comes from the resr end. any thoughts, I put ndw bearings and races in it.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:59 PM »
ujoints?
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »
Jack it up and check for play in the pinion shaft....How did you set the pinion bearing preload?  Is it possible the nut holding the yoke on has loosened??
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:58:57 PM »
I wish, I just pulled it apart, cleaned it, replaced the races and bearings and put it back together the way it came apart. I'm going to replace the ujoints first and see if the yoke will tighten down more before I start over again.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »
Did you check the gear mesh pattern after changing bearings?  The gears could of been quiet with the old bearings and now with new, they could not be meshing right.  Might be close but not enough.  Did you change all 4 sets? (both pinon and both carrier).  And why did you change them anyway?
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
Quote
I wish, I just pulled it apart, cleaned it, replaced the races and bearings and put it back together the way it came apart. I'm going to replace the ujoints first and see if the yoke will tighten down more before I start over again.
Did you follow the procedure in the manual? Did you pre-load the pinion? Once you change bearings you have to go through the entire procedure of checking pinion depth and ring & pinion lash plus gear mesh, otherwise serious damage can be done.

http://www.vernco.com/RearAxle5/index.htm







Larry

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »


Larry

Offline Bob W

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2309
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:40 PM »
Driveshaft u-joints in phase?
Bob W

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »
I replaced the bearings because they were shot. I have read vernco pages twice and still am a bit imtimidated about how this all works. Tonight I went out and disconnected the drive shaft at the differential and although I have no vertical play,I have a lot of rotational play which means the pinion is not messing with the ring gear at the correct spot. The next question is can I fix this with out pulling the axles and pumkin.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:46:23 PM »
Sounds like you have too much backlash. �I bet your mesh contact is way off. �I wouldn't drive it anymore till this is fixed, you can burn up your gears. �Unfortunately, to do any of the adjustments, you have to have the axles out. �You sound adventurous enough to learn how to do this, it just take a�certain amount of reading up and getting the right tools to dial it in. �You need to read up on this.
Years ago I found this info helpful:
http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf
There is some good info @ Randy's Ring and Pinion and Yukon Gear & Axle sites to.
Brett
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:54:46 AM by bretto »
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »
I totally disassembled this axle and replaced all the pinion and wheel bearings last summer. I just didn't replase the shims or understand this adjustment correctly so I guess I have to try to pull everything with out loosing any brake fluid and rebleading the break system. Do the shims at the wheels effect this as well?

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
As long as you reuse the exact same shims at each axle end there should be no problem.

Larry

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »
the problem is I'm not sure if I did replace thew shims as they came out. I cleaned it all and then re assemblemd them and it is more than possible I have more shims on one side than the other or I have miss balanced the correct amount foor one side. If there is 5 shims on one side an 2 on the other (on the out side not next to the differential) this make one axle farther away from the pumkin than the other, correct. If you change these shims around does it change the distance the rack gear is from the pinion or just the location of the splines on the end of each axle. In other words can the shims that go on the axles by the brakes effect the backlash.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:20 PM »
The axle shafts and outer shims have no effect on the carrier to pinion set up.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline rocketeer

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1328
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Support Our Troops.
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
Those axle end-play shims have no effect on backlash.

Larry