The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: rear end rumble  (Read 4487 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CJJay

  • Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 06:09:22 PM »
Called Walcks and ordered shims for the pinion and carrier so will try to fix it by next week end. Tonight I'n going to pull the cover and measure the backlash.

Offline bretto

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 486
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • OD 3A cousin
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
Its kind of a pain working with the axle in place doing a gear set up but it can be done.  I'd check the pattern while you are in there.  I found just getting either a bright yellow or prussian blue oil paint mixed a touch of gear oil, works fine for marking the teeth.
Brett Orem, UT� [size=14]PHOTO DIARY OF MY BUILD[/size][/URL]

Offline Gunslinger

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 942
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Cj3a, M38A1,
    • View Profile
Re: rear end rumble
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
CJ
I was pretty intimidated by the rear end as well, mine needed bearings and I didn't have the tools or the confidence to do it, so I trailered it to a guy who owns an independant shop and had him replace all the bearings and do the set up for me, it cost me a couple hundered bucks, but now I know that its right and I know who to hammer on if its not.  Just sayin,, the guys on the forum are really good at this stuff, but I learned a long time ago that I do better when I stay inside my own personal wheel house...
Todd
Climbs trees, hides in the long grass, hangs out with wet dogs...