I must say, between you're encouragement Carl and the great PM from Calvin, I think I will give it a try. Mud pie, I've been trying that for a few weeks, and now she's stopped rolling her eyes and just gives "the look" so I think I've let that one run its course.
So, now that I've decided to do this, what should I use to clean these parts? I looked through the Moses Ludel book, and he does a good job of going through the steps, but it seems to assume that your cases are clean inside and out. While everything was still in the Jeep and after the body was off I gave it some farily good pressure washings and degreasings, but the outside cases are still fairly caked with stuff, the the point that I can't tell if there are cracks or not. The inisde of the transfer case also appears to have some "chunky" oil left in all the crevasses and the bottom of the oil pan. So once I take this apart, am I just counting on Simple Green and elbow grease or is there a better way?