The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Windshield vent gasket  (Read 4371 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Windshield vent gasket
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »
Alright well over in tech talk we starting talking about driving in the rain, etc.


My problem is the windshield vent gasket. How are you guys sealing yours up? I bought one from Walcks and it's pretty much a piece of rectangular foam. Lets water in like crazy.

Is there a gasket that seals up properly? I was thinking about just running some soft rubber tube along the inside edge of the cover or something.

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.

Offline F Bill

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1402
  • Karma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:05:40 AM »
Is your vent closing tightly on the gasket? If both surfaces are smooth and straight without any bumps or divots the foam should not be leaking water....
Owner of the world famous?? Pintojeep 3A and one yet to be named stock project 3A.
Based in central TX and upstate NY.

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent gasket
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »
I bought a heavy rubber/foam seal from Home Depot.� 1/2" tall x 3/4" wide with a self stick backing, installed on the inside edge of the door.� It's not OEM, but it looks nice and seems to seal up pretty good.

Tim
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:25:14 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline 1955CJ-5

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2360
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent gasket
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
I had to put a couple spacers (washers) between the hinge and the windshield frame, otherwise the top of the vent seal hit first and would hold the vent open about 1/2" at the bottom.....lifting the hinge side away from the frame allowed the vent to close more evenly....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent gasket
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:30:34 PM »
Jesse, I have a repro windshield which as far as I can tell, has a problem.� If you sight along the vent and vent opening, the vent is flat but the opening has convex sheet metal along the top and bottom edges of the opening.� There is no way to make the vent come down flush with the opening unless I was willing to grind down the convex area (I was not).� So, I just built up the edges of the vent with foam and called it good.� Rubber tubing would get you there too.� Why the maker would do this is beyond me.
Tom


Offline macrisel

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 639
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Always in the middle of a project
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent gasket
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:28:44 AM »
I also have a repro windshield and I had to "massage" the vent opening a little bit in order for it to fit flush with the gasket installed.  As best as I can remember, the lip on the windshield was too tall and and at an odd angle.  I took a grinder and shaved off some of the lip and a pair of flat vise grips and adjusted the angle. 

It wasn't a major operation, but something you want to do before paint.

Offline Jesse

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Windshield vent gasket
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
Hmm. I'm thinking about the adhesive rubber option. The door shuts pretty tight. I guess the foam in there keeps it from rattling but I don't see how it would ever stop water.

Thanks guys,

-Jesse
Its a jeep thing, but you would understand if you have ever lost your wallet.