The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"  (Read 47519 times)

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"
« on: October 27, 2014, 11:36:48 PM »
[size=14]Readers: The links in this thread have been broken as of July 2017 due to the photobucket debacle. The photos have now been reloaded but can only reside at the end of the posts, which now makes for tough "flow". Posts after page 6 will hopefully look better...[/size]

I threatened to do this...and here it is: a post about this '50 CJ3A I have here. I got the thing for free, which sounds cool but I really just saved it from a trip to the boneyard. The body is really toast but it is complete; it appears to have been a snowplow rig all of it's life. Despite it's condition, I'm going to attempt to fix it (as shocking as it might seem to the Southwesterners.) Perhaps many of you have seen some amazing tub reconstructions on this (and other Jeep) forums, so I think it's do-able.
But before I drag it out from behind my shed, (I'm waiting for the grass to go dormant) I thought I'd start in the powertrain department. The engine the CJ came with was filled with water and I'm sure it's a goner.

see picture 1

So I sourced a replacement engine from a craigslister a couple years after getting the CJ in 2006.

see picture 2

It had a bulging and cracked head (presumably from freezing), but it turned over nicely and the son/father duo said it ran really well. I took a chance and bought it. And now, finally, it's time to see what I've got.
My goal was to just fire it up on a stand without any fuss. Well there's been fuss, but it has been fun. I used the original 1950 radiator (had to desolder and do rust repair to the mounting flanges), and mounted it to my "stand" with the shroud.

I got some help from the tech section and plumbed in some new oil lines and detailed an oil filter for it. I noticed the head bolt nuts were loose while fitting the filter bracket, so I tried to torque the nuts and one of them broke. BLAST. I removed the head and drilled out the stud and replaced it. I put the cylinder head from the CJ onto the engine because it had no cracks. It is an industrial head, and needed sand blasting and detailing, but it fit up nice.

see picture 3

Since I had the head off, I was able to see that the block bores are still "STD" and look pretty good. The valves have massive slop though, and one exhaust valve is obviously different. I noticed the intake valves had odd springs on the "tulip" end of the valve...I've never seen such a thing.

see picture 4

I sourced what was supposed to be a Delco 10si alternator from Pepboys to make this a 12V engine. The part number (Lester number) says it's a 10si, but it's obviously a 12si. Oh well, it's a better alternator, and it fits nicely. I made a mount with some scrap steel, and used the generator adjuster strap by connecting it to the waterpump bolt. I had another post in the tech section about using the generator pulley to accomodate a wide belt, but I lucked out and found an old solid steel alternator pulley that I was able to widen on a lathe and swap onto the alternator.
I wanted a charge indicator (idiot) light so I got the 3 wire style alternator and used an incandescent bulb/lamp from Radio Shack. I wired in a fusable link to the alternator output. A simple toggle switch turns on power (through the indicator lamp) to the field terminal of the alternator.
I wired the ignition coil wire with another simple toggle switch to supply battery power to the coil. (I didn't have a 2 pole switch around; so I just used two separate switches for ignition and charging)
With everything fitted up, I poured coolant into the engine and immediately coolant gushed out of the waterpump. Dang. I bought a new Airtex pump from Amazon.
Despite the leaky pump, I thought I'd at least try to fire the engine for a quick test.
It was a bust: I never even got a pop. I tested everything every step of the way and I got spark. I kept re-trying, and never got a pop. I gave up and went down to my parts store and bought a new coil and points. New coil, nothing. New points, BINGO, engine fired up instantly. However, it didn't run so good, so I was fiddling with the throttle and trying to mind the oil pump gauge. In those few moments I noticed I was getting spattered. I thought it was the leaky waterpump (and radiator) so I didn't look up. But after a moment I realized it wasn't coolant, it was oil. Gaaaah, oil was POURING out of the oil pump housing, and the fan was blasting it all over me, the engine, and the floor. What a mess! It took me an hour to clean everything up. I gave up for the day and waited for the new waterpump.

see picture 5

Next day I got the pump and fixed the oil filter lid. I got the engine started again but I had a * of a time to keep it running. I started to mess with the "progressive starter" (solex-speak for choke) and got the engine to run by itself.
So, all in all, the engine sounds great. Here's a video:
http://youtu.be/WdwnfoIc530

So I must figure out this odd Solex. I have a frozen/stuck Carter W-O that was on the CJ when I got it...just not sure if these things can be brought back from the grave. So that's it for now....[reason]reparing picture content[/reason]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 10:20:16 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline JeepFever

• Willys Guru
  • '2A trail/work - '3A project
    • View Profile
Re: 50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 12:03:25 AM »
Interesting!  . . .  you and I appear to be starting on very similar projects.   

Your beginning paragraph sounds almost exactly like something I would write  :) . . .  nothing fancy,  free, body is toast but complete, snowplow rig, engine filled with water . . .

Difference in projects  - > I am starting with body,  and will deal with engine later.

I will be watching with interest.   Hopefully we will both be driving our revived '3A's sometime this year.

Offline BMIC

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:48:45 AM »
Great post, keep them coming...
A key element to jeep fever is when you just happen to have a spare engine that you picked up a few years ago.
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:46:56 AM »
Hey Squidtone,

Nice report and I am looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

What did you do with the old generator? I am in need of one for my rebuild. I would like a 12V but I can get a 6V rewound. You can private message me,

Thanks,

Tumbleweed
49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:13:22 PM »
I spent a bit of time on this Solex carb by taking plugs, caps and jets (that were accessible without taking the carb off or dissassembling) and blasting them with carb cleaner. I also shot some cleaner in the central brass fitting in the throat. They're all easy to take off with some various metric hex wrenches.

see picture

I had to make a custom brass fitting for the fuel inlet.� The stock one had an unknown straight thread, and I didn't have the fitting for that, so I made up a solid brass block that the banjo bolt can go through. I put a 1/8 NPT in the side for a hose barb so I can use rubber hose with a filter.

I fired it up and wow what a difference; the thing idles beautifully now with no choke necessary. There must have been some dirt in some passage. So it runs really nice at least as far as idling and revving with no load.
I'm itching to pull the Jeep from out back...busy this weekend, but maybe the weekend after...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:28:21 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
Excellent....you are a talented fellow...

How's that L-134 sound without a muffler?  Video?
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
Nice write up.  Good to see another 3A rebirth!  Save them all gents!  Save them all!

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Heh.
That's funny; yesterday I had a need to hear it without a muffler too....I really don't know why.
So 1955CJ-5, per your request, I made a goofy movie on my phone of the engine without a muffler.
Disclaimers:
A caster on the cart was making a racket by vibrating at low RPMs,
the clutch is making a slight knock (throwout? friction disc off-centered?)
I never ran it long enough to get it warmed up.
And it ran out of gas.

http://youtu.be/wuGbXccia10

[btw...How do you embed a youtube video on this page]

athawk11. Heh. I have been watching craigslist, and jeez, I want to go out and gather more CJ stuff. There's so much out there and I'm afraid it doesn't sell and consequently gets scrapped. I want to save them.

I spent years getting a very deep knowledge of GTO's. So now I've been trying to learn all I can about flatfenders. It's frustrating as the info is more "fragmentary" than musclecar info. I also note how CJ3A's do seem to get short shrift compared to other Jeeps. Odd.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
I like it without a muffler....a little like a 1920's biplane at idle...

The engine sure sounds good otherwise, if you ignore the rattling caster.....
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »
This whole thread is awesome! THANKS
'52 CJ-3A

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »
Thanks Kirkski...

But whoa this thread is going to be glacial compared to "JeepFever"'s thread!

I did goof off a little today though...I didn't pull my Jeep out from behind my shed (where it has sat unmoved since 2006) but I did start cutting more snowplow business off of it. I sprayed down everything I could get with PBblaster. I loosened all the lugs...
The only left hand threads found are on the left rear wheel...should I bother getting the left front back to left hand threads?
Here's the demo work underway:

see picture 1

I also started in on the fenders. I was shocked to find that I got all the fasteners off for the driver side with no breakage. They all unscrewed. I get the feeling that these fenders have never been off the Jeep. There is Luzon red under the fender washers.

see picture 2

And there is some sort of welting (sp?) fabric under the flanges on the frame mount area.

see picture 3

Neat. I think it's cool also that Willys used some fine thread fasteners for the fenders.
The hat channels are 80 percent gone. Nothing there. There are remnants at the front, and there is still wood in there. Those fasteners I'm sure will need cutting!
So this work pace will be more leisurely; maybe more fun tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:31:28 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »
Squid,

Look up and get ahold of the 3A book written by our own Bob Westerman.� �He has done a terrific job of gathering information relating specifically to the 3A.� For reference and history, there is nothing better.

In the book, you may even begin to understand why details of the 3A seem more scattered than other flat fendered Willys.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 08:42:53 PM »
Tim,
I do have Bob's book. I bought it 2 or 3 years ago, and I've read it through a couple times. It boggles my mind that all that information has been gathered! It's going to take a while for all the information to steep into my system....
Another book I actually really like is for all jeeps, it's title is:
Jeeps, the Unstoppable Legend" by Arch Brown. A fun read and lots of Brook Stevens work is highlighted.
I also have Moses Ludel Jeep Owners Bible and Jeep CJ book. His Jeep Owners bible is okay, but covers too much stuff with not enough detail. His CJ book highlights work performed on a CJ-5 with an F-head. It's ok.
I think I will seek out the Jeep Universal service manual, I just have to figure out which one is good.
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 10:44:15 AM »
I'm glad you have Bob's book.  I think you would agree...A very comprehensive look at the 3A.

While reading it, I get the sense that Willys had "more important" things to deal with than the 3A.

I have Moses' book too.  I agree with your review.  A little short on detail...not enough on the L-134.

I do have a digital copy of the Universal Jeep Manual.  If you want a digital copy, send me a PM with your email, and I'll send it to you.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline JeepFever

• Willys Guru
  • '2A trail/work - '3A project
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »
Thanks Kirkski...

But whoa this thread is going to be glacial compared to "JeepFever"'s thread!

But you have a running engine !!� :)

Unfortunately,� I think my project is going to be slowing down soon,� lots of other commitments are falling behind� :'( as I spend time in the garage.� � I might have one more decent week.� :)