The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: 50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"  (Read 65300 times)

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: 50 CJ3A "Nuthin' Fancy"
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
Well, between weddings, movie screenings, and trips to Boston, and dang cold weather, progress has been scant. However, yesterday's weather was a gift. I was able to give it an instant lift by jacking it up from being sunk into the ground. I put some boards in the ruts and it gained a few inches in height! I managed to pull off the Koenig half hard top. Unlike the fender fasteners, many of these were permanently fused, and required grinding. That top is heavy too. I tried to fold the windshield forward and was rewarded with a snapped shoulder bolt. Gah.
I've been doing this demolition hidden away behind my shed because frankly I'm a little embarrassed to have it be seen. I really don't want to explain to non Jeep folks why in the heck I'm messing with this hulk. I must admit in the past week or so I've had some introspective moments on what the heck I'm doing with this thing. But I have had experience of being overwhelmed on a car project (the GTO I did) so I know if you take small bites at a time, it will get done.
And so far the nothing in regards to the frame, suspension and steering gives me any pause. The body, on the other hand, will most likely need complete new fabrication from the cowl back.

see picture 1

Tomorrow I'm going to make inquiries about getting a couple 4x8 or 4x10 sheets of 18 gauge cold rolled. I can't really financially swing a new repro rear floor so it'll have to be flat sheet. It's a bummer because I'd really like to have a factory style beaded floor. But considering what I'm starting with, it'll be fine. I think 1x2 tubing for "hat channel" will serve well too.
As I mentioned, the tool box is toast too. Eh, who knows, I might try to fabricate the inner lip where the seal goes. I just noticed in this photo where my missing wrench is...there's maybe something poetic about me not noticing a wrench on the ground as viewed from a vaporized tool box "floor".

see picture 2

I'm fabricating a steering wheel puller right now...I tried a wood 2x4 contraption I duplicated that I saw on the CJ2A board, but it got shredded by my puller, so I'm making a 3/4 thick aluminum plate unit....
So hopefully the body will come off next weekend after I get the steering wheel off, and I will pull the chassis into my garage and go to town.� I'll be able to work in the evenings with light and heat!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:34:49 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline JeepFever

• Willys Guru
  • '2A trail/work - '3A project
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »
It is fun watching your thread.   We are in similar situations. 

Rear floor:  I did purchase a repro floor, but will probably put in a rubber pad (like my '2A),  so nobody will see the ribs, except me,  when I pull the pad for cleaning.  ;D

I wonder sometimes why I am doing this also,  but I am hooked.

My plan is to modify the floor to M38 removeable plates.  It appears by doing that will mean the steering wheel does not have to be removed when pulling tub from frame.

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:32 PM »
Thrashed around a bit more this weekend. I dragged the Jeep out from my backyard due to impending snow. I got it into my garage and managed to grind off the remaining body bolts (there were only a few left anyway), remove the Harrison heater and disconnected everything in preparation for removing the body.

see picture 1

My son's Mazda had a big brake failure so I spent the whole day on that thing so I pushed the CJ out front and got a shot of it:

see picture 2

I got his brakes done so he helped me lift the body off.

see picture 3

The thing is crazy light so we simply carried it out back to where it has resided for 8 years. It'll be out of the way there while I clean up the frame and get the drivetrain set up.
I love seeing odd things and wonder what folks might have to say about them:
What is this big button thing on the corner of the shifter cover plate? I think it's been there since day one? Sadly I broke it while trying to remove it...I guess I can fix it.

see picture 4

So I've started to scrape pounds of gunk off the transmission and transfer case. The buildup on top of the skid plate is at least two inches thick. Bleah it stinks too.
The frame is in amazing shape. I see no cracks. More scraping and cleaning will tell me more. Onward.
Dave
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:36:51 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 11:43:05 PM »
Hi Dave,
The crud stage.� Gotta love it.

The little button is your foot rest.� It is standard, but a bit goofy. �:D�� �I don't think I've ever rested my foot on mine.

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Kirkski

• Flatfender Master
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 06:34:07 AM »

What is this big button thing on the corner of the shifter cover plate?

I wondered the same thing, amazing what you learn on this Forum!
'52 CJ-3A

Offline aboyandhisdog

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 11:10:59 AM »
I moved the "foot rest" over to the other side below the high beam switch where it can actually do some good.  It can give a feel for just where the left foot is in relation to the HB switch, as well as keep my boot from wearing the floor paint in that area. 
Tom

Offline JeepFever

• Willys Guru
  • '2A trail/work - '3A project
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
Nice progress . .  I wondered what that button was also.

I was also hoping to remove body from mine while my son was home this past weekend,   but I want to get the floors roughed in first,  and was not ready.

Glad to hear the body is light.

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
Glad to hear the body is light

I've seen numbers in the 210-230 pound range for the tub only.
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Ryan_M

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »
With two people removing the tub is a breeze. I had my 100lb wife help me the first time. I just pulled my M38 tub alone last week and it was a considerable chore.  So much so that I would never do it to again to a tub that I cared whether or not it got scratched and dented in the process.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
Well, as you can see, the tub is probably lighter by about 30-35 pounds due to the absence of floors!
Oddly enough, the front driver side metal hat channel was essentially gone, but the hard oak insert was damage free, just stained. It's actually a beautifully crafted insert for the hat channel; chamfered edges, and nice burr free holes for the bolts. I think I'm going to hang it up....
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
I've managed to deconstruct the Jeep almost down to the frame. I uninstalled the drivetrain and stirred up about 15 lbs of sediment consisting of oil sands and mouse pee that covered the transmission cases and skidplate.
The rear half of the frame and suspension is pretty pocked with rust pits, but still no real damage. The front half is fairly well preserved from the oil vapor it was subjected to over the years of operation.

I've already torn two pairs of jeans from catching the edges of the rear crossmember. That crossmember will draw blood, so I tied rags on the ends while I dance around this thing whilst coaxing parts off.

see picture 1

I believe the shocks are original because I found the lower tubes of the rear shocks have these little rock guards which I wouldn't think aftermarket units would have. Some of the cotter pins are one with the shock mounts though, so I just cut them. I'll work on cleaning out the holes. I had hoped to re-use the shocks, but a couple of them don't operate so well.

see picture 2

The tie rods and bellcrank are tight, but I still want to remove them so frame cleanup will be easier. I hope to not damage them upon removal.

I have hit a roadblock on the u-shackles however, I cannot budge a couple of the bushings. I know about the left hand ones, so I know I'm going in the right direction. I am going to post in the tech section in hopes for some advice.

So, I'm getting the wire wheel grinder ready, and I heard the tractor supply sells sandblast sand. I've got a weenie Sears sandblaster, but it still is super handy to have. If more snow holds off, I'll spread a tarp and see what I can do.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:38:51 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:46 PM »
Nuthin' Fancy update:

As noted above, I finally got the Jeep into my garage so I could take the thing apart. This definitely is the worst part of any automotive restoration: So much dirt and rust and grease.

The disassembly proceeded with bagging and tagging of everything, even if it was no good; I know it's always good to keep it all for reference when the Jeep goes back together. While removing the springs, I did have a hard time with the spring shackles. Some of the shackles were frozen and didn't even pivot. A couple of the threaded bushings were frozen into the frame as well. However, wimpy propane heat helped� (along with a cheater breaker bar) and I got all the bushings out of the frame.

see picture 1

I was going to leave the steel strapping on the frame horns, but the ugliness of them got to me, so I did some cutting and grinding to get the strapping off. Here I've started to cut it off.

see picture 2

I didn't know what i would find, but it appears as though it was added to the frame as a preventative measure (for the snow plow rig) as there is no damage to the original frame. Careful cutting and cleanup revealed really nice frame horns.

see picture 3

I wirewheeled, sandblasted and sanded the frame so it's ready for Master Series silver primer. On the rear parts of the frame, there is pitting to be sure, but it's a cosmetic issue, and I might make some effort to fill the pits when paint time comes.

see picture 4

It's a nasty job cleaning everything up. I have been "suiting" up with thermal underwear, full mask, goggles, ear protection, and a hat along with my 4 and 4.5 grinders and attack parts. Actually doing this in 20 degree weather works out well because the goggles don't fog up.

The rear spring packs were rusted solid but in the interest of keeping this just a fun low cost project I decided to take them apart to see what I could do. They all came apart fine with no broken leaves, so I spent some hours sand blasting, sanding and wire wheeling each leaf. There was so much orange rust dust I think the weather radar picked up the clouds...I came out orange too...what a mess.

see picture 5

The rear springs are quite pitted, so we'll see how they do when put back into service. They do stack and slide smoothly now though.

I've gotten the brake system all taken apart now too. It seems as though it must have had a new brake job right before it was permanently retired; the shoes and springs look new, and three out of four wheel cylinders look new on the inside. I did have to drill out the bleeders though...rusted. Thank goodness for carbide drills...I think the tips of bleeders are case hardened. I managed to save all the wheel cylinders. Whoever did the brake job didn't know what they were doing though, half the brass eccentrics were either missing or in some cases they put them on the outside of the backing plate as washers for the nuts on the lower eccentric bolts. I made eccentrics with a cnc instead of buying new ones.

see picture 6

One of the drums is bent however, so I've put in a plea for a used one in the wanted section.

I did have to buy one eccentric bolt from Walcks (as well as pinion and wheel seals, knuckles seals, and all brake hoses.) I've also procurred all the shackles and bushings from an ebay seller, and all the axle u-bolts I need from Stengel Brothers suppliers. Searching around Amazon I found master cylinder (raybestos) for 37 bucks.

Even at this early stage, I look at what I've done and am thankful I've got alot of the dirty work out of the way. I look at the frame sitting on the garage floor and it kind of amazes me how much better everything looks with just some elbow grease.

see picture 7
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:44:34 PM by squidtone »
Dave Miles
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline Bob W

• Flatfender Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 07:15:14 AM »
Lookin' good!!!  :)
Bob W

Offline Oilleaker1

• Willys Guru
  • Automotive Archeology/ Jeep Disease, Green Diseas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 08:46:27 AM »
You have determination and a desire that is commendable. Most people would not save that jeep and just part it out and junk it. You'll have to name it something special. Good work! Driving and tuning it will be a rewarding experience. John

Offline athawk11

• SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
Nice work on the eccentrics.  Your frame looks to be in good condition.

I'm a fan of the Master Series products too.  Did you use the Silver on your other projects?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A