The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Hawk's CJ3A 13655  (Read 225119 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2016, 09:42:50 AM »
WHAT, The Floreatine Pale Yellow didn't make the cut for the paint color.  :'(  . Nice job on the body work. The temp paint booth looks neat. Do the two fans have filters behind them and I assume that is the exhaust side. Do you draw fresh air from the back windows. Thanks for posting pics too. Getting ready to install my door hardware and pic's help. Now I have to get in gear and get my front axle back underneath .
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:05 PM »
Thanks Trenton. I�m a self proclaimed idiot on this one.  Not sure why I worked this hard on it.  It�s for my wife�and she is going to beat the crap out of it anyway.

Birddog, I knew you�d be bummed.  Quite honestly, the PPG numbers of these two yellows are very close.
 
Florentine-  82737
Phoenician- 81444

Side by side, I couldn�t really see a difference�but Rachel did.  It looks like PPG yellow shades get darker as the number gets larger, so Phoenician is probably a little more pale.

The photo of my paint booth is from the first Willys. I did install filters behind the fans, and drew in fresh air from the back window in my garage.  It had filters on the back wall also.  This next temp paint booth is getting some upgrades.  I picked up a 24� barrel fan that moves up to 4200 cubic feet per minute. The new booth will also be larger.  12� x 12�.  The old one was 8�x10��just barely large enough for the tub and some walking space.  The fan should be able to replace all the air in about 15 seconds.  If too much, the fan can be turned down to 2800 cfm.  I�ll take a photo when I get it set up.

Thanks again everyone.  I really do appreciate the nice feedback.  Critical feedback works too.  Any suggestions will always be received with open arms. :)

Hawk
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:47 PM »
Hey Tim,

Glad to see some progress and we all look forward to the final product. Almost makes me want to go out and get another project!

Notice I said almost............ :)

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #318 on: May 03, 2016, 01:40:48 PM »
Tumble...Don't you have a Willys Wagon to beat up on? ;)
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Tumbleweed

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 516
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • 49 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #319 on: May 03, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »
What are you trying to tell me Tim! :)

Yep I'm always chasing a leak.

I think Jeeps are a constant project ;D

Keep up the good work I am anxious to see some activity on the 3A page as well.

49 CJ3A - "Smokey"
53 Willys Wagon - "Wylie"

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #320 on: May 06, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »
Well, UPS lost my paint.  Tracking says it made it to UPS distribution center in Coloradol  It sat there for 4 days... then disappeared. :-? 

Who wants to bet that part of the floor at the UPS facility is now Phoenician Yellow? ;D
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Birddog7

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 91
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Willys
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #321 on: May 06, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »
Or the inside of a UPS truck is Phoenician yellow. I was at O'Rielys and a FedEx truck was buying oil dry to spread in his truck to soak up 4 gallons of paint that fell off the top shelve. It was everywhere.
Birddog7
1945 CJ2A
1946 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1948 CJ3A
1956 CJ3B

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2016, 10:42:54 PM »
Well, still don't have my paint.� It's probably a good thing.� I went ahead and assembled Whitey to double check, mock up, finalize fitment.� I did run into a few minor snags.� Reproduction hood needed some tweaks. Fender mounts required some adjustments.� Still need to adjust the reproduction clutch and brake pedal arms, but all in all, Whitey sits pretty nice when considering what I started with.

I built a boom arm for my tractor.� Makes installing the tub a breeze...









« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:15:26 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #323 on: May 26, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »
Did you actually drill a series of holes in your tractor bucket for the sole purpose of making a Willys tub install less of a chore? I absolutely approve.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »
A "can do" guy that Hawkridge!
OD MULE MC51986

Offline BMIC

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 406
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Weekend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2016, 09:54:41 AM »
Hawk, I am thoroughly impressed with the amount of engineering going on in just one of your pictures. A functionally designed and fabricated boom attachment for your tractor, lifting a beautifully restored tub on to a well engineered folding table riding on an 8 wheel drive multi-directional articulating base.
And an upgraded paint booth!
Very impressive!
We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out... WC

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #326 on: May 26, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »
Thanks!  I think I�m like all you Willys guys.  We seem to think like old farmers and ranchers.  We figure out ways to solves problems with just the junk we have piled around.  ;D
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2016, 11:54:13 AM »
Tub is finally painted.� The paint finish is a little more complex than a 68 year old vehicle deserves, but all in all, it turned out pretty decent.� The goal was to have a "Happy Willys".� This color should fit that requirement.









« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:20:37 PM by athawk11 »
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline RICKG

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 265
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • I never met a mule i didn't like.
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #328 on: June 13, 2016, 01:02:12 PM »
The color is more subdued than I was expecting. Gotta see it in the daylite. The wheels will really set it off. Nice work Hawky!!
OD MULE MC51986

Offline aboyandhisdog

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 760
  • Karma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Hawk's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #329 on: June 13, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
Man, that looks great Tim.  Perfect color choice.
Tom