The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A  (Read 48064 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:26 PM »
Quote
Quote
Was the '51 gray originally too?

Yes.

Thats funny. Both of mine were originally the same color red. Looks like you find gray jeeps and I find red!
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
Quote
Thanks Tim. I feel I addressed everything with the WO very thoroughly except for the throttle shaft. I know these can wear and result in vacuum leaks. I couldn't find much info on how to check tolerances. Mine had about as much free play as a recently and professionally rebuilt one I have handy.

How do you check yours? And what do you do if they are out of spec? Install bushings?

I measure them with a digital caliper.

My most recent exchange with ScoutPilot suggested the shaft minimum diameter should be .3125...and checked at a few positions because they go egg shaped on you.  My most recent shaft measured was .3090.  It feels tighter than others I've messed with.  I've never tried to bush them, but I also don't seem to have horrible results with vacuum loss.  I may not be getting everything out of these rebuilds that I can. Honestly, I think I would send it off to Scout if I thought some bushings or a new shaft would make a big difference.   
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2016, 04:53:39 PM »
Sounds good. I'm just going to run with it for now. I drove around a bit more today and it feels great, although, picking up minor idiosyncrasies isn't the easiest when the Jeep is outfitted with a heavy plow, tire chains, and is in full-time 4WD down snowy roads.
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2016, 09:22:45 PM »
A little more lipstick on this pig tonight. Happiness truly is an Advanced Adapters box arriving at your office on a Friday afternoon right before you skip out for the weekend.

I found the endplay in the transmission mainshaft here to be about the same as your average slide hammer - less than ideal. I'm going with it anyways though. This is a bomber. Short tests in the dark tonight with a raised plow virtually blocking all of the light thrown by the headlights proved successful. I didn't hit a tree and the overdrive shifts. Good stuff.


Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2016, 08:55:48 AM »
Be careful with the AA OD. Was the shift fork made of aluminum? Mine broke in my red jeep. I got a bronze one made.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2016, 03:43:20 PM »
Quote
Be careful with the AA OD. Was the shift fork made of aluminum? Mine broke in my red jeep. I got a bronze one made.

I do remember the issues you had with the shift fork and I know you are not alone. I had an AA OD on my M38 and made it 4,000 miles without issue so I'm okay rolling the dice again. This Saturn was so full of grease I couldn't see the fork and didn't go digging to find it because I wasn't about to change it anyways. I'll be careful with it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 03:43:36 PM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »
The old PE-95 generator is the gift that keeps on giving. I used a scrap piece of it and some flat bar to build a mount for the jerry can bracket to attach to as I needed something that would allow the BesTop to still fasten to the top of the tailgate.

I did have to drill holes in the tailgate but it's already in pretty rough shape so a few more holes really isn't going to hurt. I also bolted the tailgate shut for added strength. The sense of urgency to fix my fuel gauge is even less now that I have spare gas all the time  ;D














Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2016, 08:06:12 PM »
I have that same jerry can holder on Ted. It works really well.
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Time to begin the motor swap. Might as well rebuild the trans and TC while I'm in there! You know how that goes....

[media]https://youtu.be/nbijEBuOjfI[/media]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:45:12 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline athawk11

  • SMF Administrator
  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 2818
  • Karma: +0/-1
  • 1949 CJ3A
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »
Watched it twice...Loved it!!! 8-)

How long did it actually take?

Tim
2-1949 CJ3As
1-1946 CJ2A

Offline JeepFever

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 253
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • '2A trail/work - '3A project
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:53 AM »
Loved it also!!    (and sure I will watch again)

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2016, 11:29:52 AM »
Quote
Watched it twice...Loved it!!! 8-)

How long did it actually take?

Tim

About 4-5 hours across two nights (notice my clothes change...LOL) but I'm not always the most efficient at this stuff. I probably covered 12 miles walking in circles looking for "that wrench I just had...."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:30:40 AM by Ryan_M »
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline garage gnome

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1947
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Rustologist
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »
Nice Ryan! Is this the one thats going on the NH trail run?
Nate in Western MA 1953 3A #3268, The Jalopy, '47 2A Wheelin' rig, '49 3A, #37071, unmolested, bone stock named Ted

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2016, 10:55:12 AM »
Quote
Nice Ryan! Is this the one thats going on the NH trail run?


That's the plan....assuming I can get it all back together again!
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi

Offline Ryan_M

  • Flatfender Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 1704
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan_M's 1949 CJ3A
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2016, 07:37:29 AM »
I rebuilt the transmission yesterday with the help of the Rick Stivers video. Rick's written guide takes much of the mystery out of a rebuild but the video takes all of it out. What a huge help.

[media]https://youtu.be/J1NMpskaUI0[/media]
Current:
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
Previous:
'46 2A
'51 3A
'52 3A
'52 M38
'54 3B
East Coast Wi