The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - ventport

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
If it ain't leaking leave it alone.  There is nothing there to fix, and all you can do is replace it with one that leaks!

2
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / Re: Heater
« on: November 27, 2016, 08:57:30 PM »
The Harrison heater is almost the same as a 49-50 Chev pickup truck heater.  The Chev has an extra blower mounted on the front for the defroster.  I also had a heater that matched the first one pictured.  I am sure it is an aftermarket item.

3
When I rebuilt my 3A 15 years ago I used a NOS rope seal from a very old gasket set I bought at a swap meet.  Does not leak one single drop.  Parked it over a piece of white cardboard after driving it and not a spot on it.  So the old asbestos seals work.

4
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / Re: Fuel Pump
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:45:28 PM »
Change the condenser first, I bet that will fix it.

5
On my Myers plow the front mount brackets start on the inside of the front springs and do a zig zag above the spring, and bolt to the outside of the frame.

6
Would spray on Copper Coat work?

7
A bad diaphragm in the fuel pump can pull oil from the pan and mix it with the fuel causing the engine to smoke.  I have had that happen to me on other 50's cars.

8
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / Re: Seat Belts
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
Best clarification of a reference I have ever gotten.  Thanks every one.  Brian

9
"Original"-- Technical Questions, Answers, Observations / Re: Seat Belts
« on: February 07, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »
Quote
Quote
There is another option, the MB and Maybe the CJ2A had a belt that acted like a Les Nessman doorway, it just closed off the body where you might fall out on a curve. �Little bit more security, its an option.


Larry

Ok please explain the Les Nessman doorway reference.   As I remember wasn't he the newsman on some sitcome in the 70's.  But that's all I remember.

10
Got it, thanks now it all makes sense.

11
What are thermostat cables?

12
You said you replaced the flywheel.  Are you sure you got the correct one, there are a few different ones and you may have one that is too big for your application.  Check here:     http://www.autoelec.com/html/willys_ring_gear_comparison.html

13
I bought a distributor cap at a swap meet a while back for my CJ3A.  It was in a different box but was labeled AL-134 in magic marker.  It does not fit my CJ as the diameter is too small.  Did Willys use two different size distributors in their production?  If so is the AL-134 the correct number for the small distributor, and what years did it fit so i can resell it.  What is the correct part number for the big diameter distributor so I can get the correct cap? Thanks Brian

14
I have found the easiest way to scribe the line on the tires is to drive a large spike through a piece of 2X6 about 18 inches long.  Jack up the front end and hold the 2X6 flat on the floor with the tip of the spike against the front of the tire, then spin the tire backwards with the spike drawing a line in the dust down the center of the tire.  If the tire is spun forward the spike will dig into the tire.

15
I don't see a problem drilling and tapping it with the head on the engine.  Use a magnet to clean up the metal chips that fall into the water jacket.  It's not like the metal chips are going into the engine oil, it's just the water jacket.  Just as long as you have enough room to do the work with out hitting the firewall.

Pages: [1] 2 3