The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Medsker51

Pages: [1] 2 3
1
Rambling, Malarky, Rants, Etc... / Re: Lost the pan drain plug
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
I've seen a plug come out before, although not in the crazy way yours did. So I always carry one of these. Probably never need it, but it is small and light and does a good job. Of course if you hit it by a small rock it will pop it out. Crazy for that rock to hit it and turn it. I will never stop being amazed at the crazy things that happen when wheeling.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Needa-Parts-Universal-oil-drain-plug/_/N-25r9?itemIdentifier=256832_0_0_

2
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: March 30, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
Thanks

3
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: March 30, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
So how do I know how much to put in? Do I fill them up until the fluid is just leaking out the plugs like axles? Do I split the 3.5 pints between them?

Thanks again for everyone's help

4
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: March 30, 2016, 01:04:34 PM »
So one more question. When I fill the tranny and transfer case do I just put oil in it until it starts coming back out the plug hole like you do on axles? Or do I have to split the 3.5 pint amount between the two?

5
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
I'm plugging along on it. I have the engine, tranny and transfer case in. I'm starting on the tub now. Lots to do on it. I finally got everything out of it that the PO put in it. Now I have to start fresh and start adding stock stuff back in.

Thanks for the info on the filling of the t-case and tranny. I'll get that done.

6
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »
So question. I looked at the book and it says the transmission and transfer case take 3 1/2 pints together. I see two plugs though...one on the transfer case and one on the transmission. The transfer case one is about an inch lower than the transmission one. Do I just just put oil in the transmission plug since it is higher? Or do I put it in both?

Thanks

7
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try this week.

8
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
So I got the engine, tranny and transfer case in. I put the front motor mounts on and then when I went to put the tranny mount in they were 1/2" off to the right. I pulled it over with a ratchet strap and got it mounted but I'm wondering if putting a "bind" on the system might be bad for it. The front right motor mounts rubber seems to be twisted a little. Is this something I need to worry about? I measured the frame and it appears to be square. Not sure what else it could be.


9
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
So I was able to hammer the pins in after the flywheel was installed. They went in hard so I think they will stay. Especially since there is only rotational movement so they won't have any forces pushing them in or out.

One more problem down...only a thousand to go  :)

10
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
I'm not replacing them, just trying to install. I'm just not good at explaining  :).  Here is a couple of pics. The first one shows the pins next to the holes they go in. The second pic shows engine lay out. When I removed the flywheel one stayed in the engine side but pulled partially out and the other was in the flywheel side. When I went to install the flywheel one pin went in too far and the other one went in "right". When I pulled the flywheel back off they both only came partially out so I removed them with a brass drift. I think if I press them back in, they still wont insert into the engine side. I own a press so pressing them in isn't a problem. Maybe I'll try to press them into the flywheel and them install it and see what happens.

11
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: July 22, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
So I know I haven't updated this thread for a while. It seems like you work on it once in a while but things go so slowly you don't take pictures until you hit milestones. I finally got mine on four wheels again. I have mounted the engine in it since the picture was taken and am starting to get the flywheel, clutch and bell housing on when I ran into a problem. My flywheel has four bolts and two dowels. They aren't tapered, they are straight on the sides and don't screw in. It looks like a press fit. So how do I get them in? Do I just snug down the flywheel and then pound them in with a soft mallet until they are flush?

Thanks for any advice.

12
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »
It's still on the engine stand. I haven't started putting the willys together yet. I'm doing the big parts one at a time. So far I've finished the front axle. I'm working on the engine, carburetor and transfer case right now...mostly cleaning. I'm almost ready to paint the engine. I need to pull the cam gear so I can replace the gasket behind the plate and then I should be ready to put it back together and paint it. I'm having trouble finding a puller to get the gear off. None of the pullers I own would work. I ordered one from Amazon that I'm hoping will work but haven't got it yet.

13
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: January 26, 2015, 03:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was looking at page 42 and it didn't have any info on installation  ;D When you told me page 49 I just assumed that was the page I was on. Teach me to make assumptions  :)

14
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. So if I understand correctly, I install the oil pump with the slot vertical and then install the distributor into the slot. This puts the number one cylinder at 5 o'clock. Is this correct? I'm at TDC.

Thanks Again!

15
Your CJ-3A Project / Re: My cj3A
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:11:35 PM »
It's been a couple of months since I checked in. Lots of playing so I haven't done a whole lot. I've mainly been working on cleaning up the engine so I can paint it. I'm finding I don't like the clean up part of the build. :) I'm sure everyone feels the same way. I walk out into the garage and see the engine on it's stand to clean and my Harley next to it and the Harley wins most of the time  ;D

I hate to use you guys as my personal experts but I have a couple of problems I can't find searching. First, I pulled the distributor and oil pump without really checking how they were installed. I have the engine at TDC but I can't figure out which point on the distributor is the number one spot so I can point the rotor towards it. Second, when I paint the engine do I need to mask off the gasket areas or can I just paint them? I think the gaskets will still seal, but I'm not sure. If I do have to mask them up what is the easiest way to do it?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Pages: [1] 2 3