Welcome, from Guilderland, NY!
Your main issue with jeeps in this area is trying to find a solid enough jeep to build. Frames and tubs are pretty bad in the rust belt here...Tubs can be rebuilt, frames from here that got rusted usually are not worth rebuilding.� Or....you could buy a rotted one here and put a new aftermarket frame and tub on it....or buy used at a jeep gathering or from a fellow jeep nut elsewhere in the country.
One advantage to an older jeep for NY'ers is the hoops to jump through for registration up here aren't that difficult, yet. You'll still want to avoid jeeps with no paperwork unless they are really decent and obviously owned by the previous owner for a long time. Before you go an purchase anything see what the DMB is requiring nowadays on pre title vehicles....I think there is a difference between buying instate and from out of state that you may want to read about...
There is also the option of going with a homebuilt frame and modern drivetrain....Lots of ways to go.
If I hear of anything local available I will try to contact you thru the PM system...I have gotten rid of almost everything I had in Stephentown so I can't help you out there....
As far as what model to get....condition is everything, even trumping what model jeep you want.
The later the jeep, the more modern the amenities, with things like V6,V8, and disc brakes eventually in CJ5 -7 models.....WWII jeeps and 2A's are very close to each other in useability on road.....especially here with those silly new York drivers... 3A's have a quieter windshield, slightly more room behind the wheel, and a stronger frame design.� 3B's get you the high hood, a face only a mother could love, and the F head engine with its increase in HP.� CJ5's got a whole redesign of the tub but mechanically they were similar to the3B initially. Then later on the Cj5 got the straight 6, a longer nose and frame,, and more optional stuff.
I work on Hamburg Street so if you find something locally and need another set of eyes to check it out I may be able to help out. Just be aware I am a jeepaholic and it is a very contagious condition.
MikeC1493 has a thread or two about a jeep he restored that came from my collection....well worth reading to see what you may be getting into....Here's one from when it was finally finished..:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/this-is-the-pile_topic29127_page1.htmlHe is up in Mechanicville...
Garage Gnome's jalopy is another iconic jeep.....Check out his off road only build in threads here or the 2A page.. He's fairly local as well, in western MA.
It would be worth putting a wanted ad in the local Craigslist /...you might pull something out of the woodwork that way. ANd don't buy the first jeep you see...take the time to make a good choice.
I know of two WWII GPW's but they are going to be close to $10k each by the time they sell. I also have several projects in Texas if you ever get down that way.