The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: I'm 6'3" and I want a jeep!  (Read 96 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jdouglasj

  • Posts: 0
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
I'm 6'3" and I want a jeep!
« on: October 01, 2026, 09:43:01 AM »
I love the flat fenders and I want to buy one, but I drove a 1954 M38A1 and my leg was right up against the dashboard. It's was okay, I could handle that for an hour at a time, but I've been told that there is even less room in a flat fender for my legs. Or is it about the same?

Also, I am not a mechanic and I don't plan on doing work that is beyond my capability. I have never worked on cars, but if I can handle something I'll do it. With that in mind I'd like to buy a jeep in good condition, little to no rust. Will I be able to find that for, say, $18,000?

Online Rus Curtis

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 340
  • Karma: +6/-1
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: I'm 6'3" and I want a jeep!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2026, 02:45:43 PM »
Welcome!

I'd say, maybe.  You didn't mention your location.  There are jeeps to be had. Fully restored can be advertised for more than your budget and projects in varying degrees of completeness can come in a large spread for the asking amount.  Posting where you are, may produce an offer close by.

Some here will advertise the need to sell and they'd be in great shape, timing plays a part. 

It sounds like the interior dimensions will be a factor.  Military and CJ-2A jeeps have a little less leg room.  The 3As and 3Bs have a bit more leg room (the wheel wells were shortened and the seats pushed back, I think I remember 2 inches).  I think the early CJ-5 has the same leg room (I read the 3A/3B seat frames are the same as in the CJ-5.

Finding a rebuilt/reliable driver will be the challenge - the more time you have, the better chances of finding what you want.  Changing your level of "current condition" can also affect options.

There are multiple places to check.

Here, in the Classified Ads section.  See what has been posted and even add your Want To Buy ad.
(I counted 5 jeeps advertised for sale since 2023).

eWillys (offline for maintenance right now - good location to filter for the model)
https://www.ewillys.com/

I remember reading multiple Facebook sites hosting jeep sales.

Also, Oldtime who's posted here often has advertised his 3B

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/1953-cj3b_topic55244.html

as of May 2026, it was still available.  I think it's in Missouri.

Good luck!

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline jdouglasj

  • Posts: 0
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: I'm 6'3" and I want a jeep!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2026, 09:36:50 PM »
Well thank you, that was a thoughtful reply. I am in Bristol, TN

Offline Mark W.

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Karma: +1/-0
  • Chug A Lug
    • View Profile
Re: I'm 6'3" and I want a jeep!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2026, 04:16:43 PM »
In my local Facebook Market place there are 22 flat fender jeeps for sale prices ranging from $1000 to $16,000 in all manner of condition. This is Western Oregon and SW Washington for the most part.

Chug A Lug

1948 CJ2A Tub and Title
1949 CJ3A Windshield
1957 CJ5 Frame and Springs
134L 9.25" T-90 30%OD D18 D25 and D44 30 spline
11" Brakes, Saginaw Steering, 12V electrical
DIY Aluminum Hard top