Thanks for the replies:
Scoutpilot - running 87 octane. I bring timing to highest, smooth-running point, then retard about 100 rpm, and adjust idle to ~670. Vacuum is steady at 20. I've pulled plugs and, while not full of carbon, are definitely on the darker side, so I've been assuming it's running a tad rich, if anything. I rebuilt the carb and even took it apart a second time to verify the metering rod settings, etc. It starts fine cold and when it's warm but hasn't heated over 200. When hot, it can be stubborn. Under those conditions, where the engine has been heated, harder starting may be an issue of vapor lock (?).
Russ, yes, very early - in fact, I've found a few items that were left over from the 49-2A. Rear end is a Dana 41, not a 44. The original engine rear plate was replaced but the plate that's on it does not have the timing hole, so it's a crap shoot. The crankshaft pulley didn't have a timing mark, so when i was reassembling the engine, I brought the engine to TDC and notched a mark as close as I could to the 0° mark on the timing cover. Not perfect, but it gave me a ballpark reference point.
Any other suggstions are welcome.