The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?  (Read 5136 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Marla.the.V35

  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-V35/U owner
    • View Profile
    • Marla.the.V35 instagram
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
Having trouble tracking down torque specs for the shackles. Some say 25-40ftlbs, some say around 75. Unfortunately don't have my manual with me today.  Anyone know or can check theirs and help me out? Thanks!
'81 CJ-5 (RIP)
'48 FrankenFlatty (RIP)
'50 CJ-V35/U 10912

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marla.the.v35/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqN6tmhXfZ-W0s4HdckDeqQ

Offline oldtime

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 234
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 07:42:16 PM »
Manual states 25 to 30 pounds feet.

Offline Marla.the.V35

  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-V35/U owner
    • View Profile
    • Marla.the.V35 instagram
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 11:48:58 PM »
Thanks, oldtime!
'81 CJ-5 (RIP)
'48 FrankenFlatty (RIP)
'50 CJ-V35/U 10912

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marla.the.v35/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqN6tmhXfZ-W0s4HdckDeqQ

Offline Marla.the.V35

  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-V35/U owner
    • View Profile
    • Marla.the.V35 instagram
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »
Does the spring eye bolt need a washer on the outside? That's a splined bolt that you press in, so I assumed no. Am I incorrect? (pic from the interwebz)
'81 CJ-5 (RIP)
'48 FrankenFlatty (RIP)
'50 CJ-V35/U 10912

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marla.the.v35/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqN6tmhXfZ-W0s4HdckDeqQ

Offline Rus Curtis

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 340
  • Karma: +6/-1
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2022, 05:07:08 PM »
The Service Manual doesn't show a washer.  There may be another reason that washer was added.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Mytwojeeps2020

  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Near 70, and Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 08:53:56 AM »
I’d like to bring up Jon’s topic to address something related to his project.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether to use greasable or non greasable shackles?
First Car at 16: 1958 CJ3B    (RIP)
Second Jeep: 1964 CJ6 (Re-homed in 2022)
Current Jeep: 1961 CJ5 “Olaf”

Offline Marla.the.V35

  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-V35/U owner
    • View Profile
    • Marla.the.V35 instagram
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 02:28:50 PM »
tbh, if this jeep wasn't so rare, I'd strongly consider moving to a non-greasable. As it is, I'm trying to keep it as close to current, or revert back to stock but with safety prevailing in the end.

Only considerations I can see for poly bushings is for climates in which they don't do well (Florida or anywhere with salty roads in the winter).

There's a gentleman named Sal Walter (not sure if he's here, but he's in the same Facebook groups I am) making parts using oilite. He's considered making spring bushings and packaging them with Grade 8 bolts for this. Might be worth seeking him out if you're planning to change.

hth
'81 CJ-5 (RIP)
'48 FrankenFlatty (RIP)
'50 CJ-V35/U 10912

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marla.the.v35/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqN6tmhXfZ-W0s4HdckDeqQ

Offline Mytwojeeps2020

  • Posts: 4
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Near 70, and Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing spring and shackle brackets. Any tips?
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 06:56:13 AM »
Thanks, Jon. I’ve never had anything but non-greasable shackles here in Central Florida. I never knew greasable existed until I saw them advertised by KW. That’s why I asked. I guess the greasable ones are for the older machines. My CJ5’s PO came from a heavily salted road area up north. The shackles are looking pretty bad, so I’m going to change them out. I just didn’t know which ones to use.
First Car at 16: 1958 CJ3B    (RIP)
Second Jeep: 1964 CJ6 (Re-homed in 2022)
Current Jeep: 1961 CJ5 “Olaf”