The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Change filter every oil change or every other?  (Read 1620 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Marla.the.V35

  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-V35/U owner
    • View Profile
    • Marla.the.V35 instagram
Change filter every oil change or every other?
« on: September 29, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »
Title pretty much says it. Do I need to change oil filter every oil change or every other ?

Thanks!
'81 CJ-5 (RIP)
'48 FrankenFlatty (RIP)
'50 CJ-V35/U 10912

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marla.the.v35/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqN6tmhXfZ-W0s4HdckDeqQ

Offline Rus Curtis

  • Willys Guru
  • ****
  • Posts: 341
  • Karma: +6/-1
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Change filter every oil change or every other?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 09:33:43 PM »
JON,
That initially sounded like a simple question. 

I have a SM for early jeeps, SM-1002-R6 and later jeeps, SM-1046.  I thought it would be interesting to see if the guidance matched. 

The early manual (covers 2A-3B) shows, in the LUBRICATION CHART, oil change at 2,000 mi. 

I had to turn some pages and buried in the text was para. B-22. Oil Filter.  There it states change the filter at each 6,000 miles of normal driving.  I believe all these early engines had canister filters.

The later manual (covers 3B - 5/6) shows the same change at 2000 miles for the F-head (6,000 for V6).

BUT, I noticed a difference where the filter was discussed.  In this manual, para. B-10.Engine Oil Filter Service- Hurricane F4 Engine, it it states change each 2,000 mi.  I also noted how this paragraph described removal and installation of a spin-on filter. 

I had in the past always changed my canister filter every time I changed oil (back then I may have actually changed it every 3,000 mi.).  I'm re-thinking this whole filter interval.

I don't know why there's an apparent difference between when to change a canister filter and what sounds to me like a spin-on filter.

It'll be interesting to see what others do for their oil changes.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveKfl

  • Flatfender Enthusiast
  • ***
  • Posts: 107
  • Karma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Change filter every oil change or every other?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2021, 08:32:31 AM »
My dad used to say "Changing oil without changing the filter, is like washing your feet and putting on dirty socks."  He also said..."If you're going to "skimp", change the filter and not the oil every other change interval."  Interval should vary with "use and environmental conditions", the hotter and dirtier, the sooner to change.  Highway miles do not have the same impact as short start and stops, and idling, especially in sandy conditions, so mileage is not the best determinate, just the easiest to monitor.  I may stretch the interval, but do both together, either cartridge or canister.  It is a "system"... IMO, and oil is the critical component to prevent wear.  Today's oils are "higher tech" too than when the manuals were written, just like there is no "mention of Ethanol" in a SM.  One thing that should never be "neglected", is "common sense".  Happy motoring.
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline BillT

  • Willys Fan
  • **
  • Posts: 68
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Change filter every oil change or every other?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 08:49:32 AM »
I’m with you on that Steve.
'52 CJ3A, early M38A1, '70 Commando
25' travel trailer, Lance 855S truck camper
Love to camp

Offline Marla.the.V35

  • Posts: 2
  • Karma: +0/-0
  • CJ-V35/U owner
    • View Profile
    • Marla.the.V35 instagram
Re: Change filter every oil change or every other?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 12:44:52 PM »
Great info. Thanks, all. I also learned to always do both, but came across some of the same info that Rus did. Thought it was odd, and since I consider myself a novice when it comes to flatfenders, figured I'd ask. I dunno that I would try to stretch my intervals though, with the age of this engine, it's probably best to give it all I can  ;D

I'm always going to be running engine oil with high zinc (Shell Rotella 30W seems to be the most accessible for me at the moment), and I learned the hard way that my canister takes the NAPA Gold 1100, not the 1010. D'oh!

Thanks again!
'81 CJ-5 (RIP)
'48 FrankenFlatty (RIP)
'50 CJ-V35/U 10912

instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marla.the.v35/
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqN6tmhXfZ-W0s4HdckDeqQ