The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Mitsubishi Jeep to Willys Jeep conversion questions  (Read 85 times)

Offline Geodoc

Mitsubishi Jeep to Willys Jeep conversion questions
« on: February 21, 2021, 07:27:21 PM »
Hi all,

Couldn't find anything here, but wondering about the possibility of converting a (relatively) modern Mitsubishi Jeep (J53 or J54) right-hand drive to one with a MD Juan body and left-hand drive. That way it would appear to be a Willys CJ3-B but have the 4DR5 or 4DR6 diesel engine.

Looking at pictures, it appears that the transfer case is on the same side in both the Mitsubishi and the Willys (at least the gear shift and transfer case levers are all in the same position - gear shift lever on the left and transfer case levers on the right).

My big questions are:

• Has anyone done so?
  • How difficult would it be to switch things around (such as the accelerator, brakes, clutch, master cylinder, etc.)?

Thanks for any input

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Mitsubishi Jeep to Willys Jeep conversion questions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:35:16 PM »
Interesting approach.  I've read where some owners have switched from left to right-hand-drive, but I can't recall going the other way.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline Geodoc

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »
Some have switched DJ3s to left-hand drive (it might be the same process, but the big deal for me is the diesel engine).

Offline Geodoc

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
Anyone in the Puget Sound area with a Mitsubishi Jeep (J53, J54, or J55) or a rebuilt Willy's CJ3B with a MD Juan tub? I'm hoping to do some measuring. Thanks.