The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Father-Son CJ3A project  (Read 205 times)

Offline swofford

Re: Father-Son CJ3A project
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 08:16:25 PM »
Thanks all....
athawk11... I told my son the exact same thing yesterday when we were looking at the vehicle.
CJ3A frame and drivetrain.... front clip...and DJ3A tub that had been modified...
I will try to get some engine photos sometime tomorrow....

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 10:08:15 PM »
I noticed the shift lever....it's curved like one from a MB or GPW, T-84 transmission. Just another mystery.....

Randy
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline swofford

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 09:00:25 PM »
Guys, sorry I haven't posted the engine photos that I said I would. Got my 2nd Covid shot on Monday and, while symptoms were mild, they were just enough to kick my backside...and impede me doing that. Additionally, prioritization of things occurred. With the severe weather here in Texas last week, I had to take the RV to a shop 60 miles away to have damage assessment done, since it was 'preferred' by my insurance... while not being optimistic, I will just have to see how all that works out...
Larry

Offline swofford

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »
OK, as promised (okay, a little late again)... Here are some photos of the engine bay. I have more, just focused on a decent driver, passenger and top for now... just ask what else or what area is needed.... Looking forward to the feedback...

Offline 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »
Were you able to read the engine number? That should tell if it's a 2a or 3a engine or some other variant.

It should be stamped in the block on the flat area just above the water pump.

There is more info here:

https://www.cj3apage.com/index/Tech_Tips/dating_a_cj.htm

All the big parts seem to be there. The blue cable bolted to the front of the exhaust manifold is a little odd but maybe just a convenient way to ground the engine. Normally there is a braded ground strap on the passenger side motor mount that grounds the engine to the frame.

Looks like a replacement fuel pump, but no big surprise there. A 3a would have a dual action fuel/vacuum pump.

Distributor is rotated differently than most. If the oil pump was changed and not indexed by the book, the distributor, which drives off the oil pump will be oriented a little differently than
standard, but if the timing is right and it runs well no big problem.

Here is a picture from the above link showing where the engine number is located..

1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...