The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Upside of COVID? Rebuild your Jeep!  (Read 220 times)

Offline Saskajeep

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Upside of COVID? Rebuild your Jeep!
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »
Way back in March of 14 my wife and I may the long trip to Boise, Idaho to pick up a Jeep I had purchased on EBay. The seller had provided lots of pics and video so while it was not really sight unseen it was a little risky. The trip was very nice and the Jeep turned out to be just what I was expecting. The 52 3A was in pretty good shape and came with a rear seat, 5 good original rims with tires in rough shape, and the original canvas top and complete bow set. The canvas is not useable but will make a good pattern.
     When I got home I took it to the car wash to clean it up a bit, did a little bit of brake work and put a new wiring harness on it. I have been driving it quite a bit during the warmer months just like that. The only issues I have had are the usual dropping out of second gear, e-brake seized, and worn carb. It had the wo carb which I put a rebuild kit
in with poor results. I concluded that the shaft and throttle body are worn to the point that too much air is sucked in there. I put a new solex on and it now runs great. I have the wo tucked away to have fixed sometime. It would be nice to have it back on as pretty much everything else is as original.
     At the end of last September I lost my job due to my employer closing the doors. Between Winter and COVID new job prospects were not good so I decided now was the perfect opportunity to do the frame off restoration I always intended to do.
    Here are a few pics from when I first got it.
1947 cj2a
1952 cj3a
2017 cherokee

Offline Saskajeep

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
Re: Upside of COVID? Rebuild your Jeep!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 10:28:28 PM »
     As fate would have it just a couple of weeks before my last day of work I found another flat fender for sale much closer to home. It wasnt that I really wanted another Jeep but this one came with an extra bonus. It is a 47 2a in good restorable condition complete with a rear pto unit. On top of the the owner had accumulated a huge inventory of new parts. There was a carb, fuel pump, wiring harness, complete suspension, complete exhaust, complete steering, front and rear floor pans, all seals and bearings for both axles, transfer case and transmission and lots of other stuff. The price was more than fair so I brought it home too.
     A couple pics of the 2a.
1947 cj2a
1952 cj3a
2017 cherokee

Offline squidtone

• Willys Guru
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 05:15:46 PM »
Hey really nice. That looks like a great starting point. I'm amazed how rust free it seems. Those look like "Jackman" wagon wheels. I think those are somewhat highly sought after by some folks.
Good luck and I look forward to more entries!
Dave Miles
Presently: � � � � � � � �
03 Rubicon,
50 CJ3A
Past:
01 XJ Cherokee,
87 XJ Cherokee,
85 XJ Cherokee,
83 CJ8,
81 CJ7

Offline Saskajeep

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »
So at the beginning of October I drove it into the unseated garage and started to tear it down. I took a few pics when I first started but was not good at documenting the progress. I just kept my nose in it and took it apart piece by piece while trying to label or at at lest keep track of what went were. I was fortunate in the things came apart pretty well with only one bolt breaking off (fender to frame). The biggest problem was that red Idaho clay which is like concrete. There was actually a couple of times I used a hammer and chisel to chip it away so I could find hidden bolts.
     Pics just as I was beginning.
1947 cj2a
1952 cj3a
2017 cherokee

Offline Saskajeep

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »
By early December I had it tore down and the frame sandblasted and ready to start going back together.
1947 cj2a
1952 cj3a
2017 cherokee

Offline Saskajeep

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 09:35:24 PM »
By mid February I had gone through and painted the mechanical components. Some of the work I did:
- popped the covers off both pumpkins, washed them out and inspected, no damage.
- new kingpin bearings and seals on both steering knuckles.
- New bearings and seals on outer ends of both axles.
- complete new brake system.
- new tie rods and ends, draglink rebuild, new sector shaft, seals, bushings and bearings in steer ing box.
- new u-joints on both drive shafts.
- new secondary shaft bearings and thrust washers, seals and gaskets in t-case.
- new small parts kit, bearings, seals and gaskets in transmission.
- new head and oil pan gaskets.
- new seals on pto shifter and gear case.
- hours and hours if scraping and wire brushing to get ready to paint
- painted frame, axles, t-case, tranny and engine with 2 coats gray por15 rust coat
- paint frame and other part with 2 coats of chassis black por15 topcoat.
1947 cj2a
1952 cj3a
2017 cherokee

Offline tow hook

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 02:46:19 PM »
scene last march, i got my engine in, and wire harness done, and a lot of other odds and ends steering, oil psi, etc. plumbing the brake switch, and got one last leak to fix ( gotta re flare ) a brake line. then have the pros check over my wiring. and i' be ready to drive it. then get the body ready for tags to have it on the road.

Offline Saskajeep

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 04:13:31 PM »
Over the past weekend I got her together minus the body. I had to play with the distributor a bit but finally she fired up after a few adjustments was purring nicely. ROAD TRIP!
1947 cj2a
1952 cj3a
2017 cherokee

Offline tow hook

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 01:56:27 PM »
i'm 17 years into mine, did the wiring over winter.  i got a apt to have it gone over, has a few bugs.  been spending way to much to get a title. and then get the wind shield fixed and painted an glass . then get my rims painted and tyres. looks great

Offline Slimpickins

• Highly focused like a gnat in a whirlwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 07:52:39 AM »
Looks nice. I spent about five years of weekends and vacation on mine, The key is breaking it down into components and doing it one  at a time. That way every completed component is a small victory. It also helps spread out the expenditures of money. I started with the chassis, then axels, then transfercase and trans, then motor. I left the body and metal work for last knowing it was the least enjoyable, but walking past the complete driveline kept me motivated.

Keep krackalackin Sakajeep!   

Offline tow hook

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Still Plays With Jeeps
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
Looks nice. I spent about five years of weekends and vacation on mine, The key is breaking it down into components and doing it one  at a time. That way every completed component is a small victory. It also helps spread out the expenditures of money. I started with the chassis, then axels, then transfercase and trans, then motor. I left the body and metal work for last knowing it was the least enjoyable, but walking past the complete driveline kept me motivated.

Keep krackalackin Sakajeep!

i agree, i did the same..