The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Bantam BT3-C trailer resto  (Read 824 times)

Offline SteveW

Bantam BT3-C trailer resto
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:22:18 PM »
I have a 1947 trailer and thought I had stuff here already but who knows. Been working on it to get it on the road and will be a working trailer. One thing I did not like was the cheap hinge arrangement for the tailgate. Mine was beat up anyway and I wanted to have it removable. I had some hinges for a second tailgate and thought I could make them work. They did and I am happy. It was a lot of work though. Not much for pictures and I have others but not for now. Main thing was getting the offset from the gate to the body. I had welded a piece of 1" square across the underside of gate already to help make it stronger. I made a yoke of 1" flat and bent it to go around the tailgate hinge. Had to hold it out a bit to line up with the opening in tailgate hinge. For the hinge I had to get it away from frame so I welded 3/8" by 2" angle onto frame then tacked and bolted the tailgate hinge on it. This lined things up. I measured and drilled 1/2 stock and cut it  a little longer than the yoke and drilled 1/2 holes through it. Ground down the rod so it will slip in and out of opening like any jeep tailgate and decided to weld a drilled out 1/2 square nut on inside for a little more bearing of the rod.

Here was some dry fitting

That was finished product.
ran out of shielding gas so pretty dirty welds

I had no chains when I got trailer and bought these later so they have to be fitted. But it will work and is removable
1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline SteveW

Re: Bantam BT3-C trailer resto
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »
Trailer tub flipping. I had trailer on its top to get the bottom cleaned and put drawbar axle etc back together. Needed to flip it over but pretty dang heavy with wheels on so I put a strap on a maple tree and on the drawbar rigged some tackle and my wife and I flipped it. Chocked the little dolly rig I had to get it from rolling and used my jeep jack to raise it up until I could get under the drawbar to push. Wasn't sure which way the jack would fall was only unknown. I told my wife to keep line over my left shoulder and pull when I said and if I hollered drop it to do so and not move a muscle. Had about 3 seconds of a little unsure it would get up there but once it did and gravity took over she came down without hitting shop/fence or tree. That is a good wife who thinks you are crazy but still helps.

1950 CJ3A finished. 1950 CJ3A in pieces. 1947 Bantam T3-C trailer, 1946 Cushman Scooter 50 series

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »
A good wife, and a good helper.
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 01:57:01 PM »
I'm guessing that removable tailgate may have some advantages!

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveW

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »
Getting close to the finish. I had floor sag and also had too much damage on front of floor to weld up or patch and not going to spend on a repro floor. So I ran 1" square tube across the axle and jacked up under the hat channel until it was straight. Pieced in square tube to support on frame channel and made clips to screw into blocking I made for keeping axle and bed from banging on heavy load. The little rubber snubber is not available and the jeep snubbers are way to thick so I made this one from some hardwood I had. I had a place cut me some 18 ga sheet to fit bottom and laid it over the existing bed 38" x 72". It is a little long but I will knock it over and tack it when front and sides are secured. I also cut  1 1/2" angle and welded it to floor and then through bolted it into the outside tub angle. Next is coming down the sides and license plate frame them it is ready to get registered and tagged.

Offline SteveW

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »
Well it is done. Except for cleaning up and paint. Ready to get it registered and plated. Hopefully not to difficult. Only had paper bill of sale and not notarized but found out through cleaning up 1 more digit on sn so it is a moot point. Florida is fairly easy on trailers under 2,000 lbs and also over 25 years old. I have a customer who is a Sherrifs deputy so will get them to verify sn is correct and lights and such are o.k. and will get it weighed at farmers market on certified scale. We will see. Anyhow. The floor is done and welded on front and along sides and peened over back. I welded a plate frame. hooked up light for plate and put reflectors on rear. Also had a mystery hole so I put a tab on tailgate and drilled it so I can lock the tailgate shut. when I get the top made it will be somewhat secure. I am working on a spare tire holder underneath and think I have it figured out but not a high priority now. I am very pleased and for me it was a warp speed project

Not shown but made little clips and put rods in back to see the trailer. absolutely invisible hooked up to my F-150

Offline SteveW

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 03:58:33 PM »
Fun day with trailer first workout and road test. Up to 60mph, some railroad tracks and curvy side streets along with overpass and 1/4 turn ramp. Very pleased. Removable tailgate best feature.

load up to my shredder chipper for composting

brought back some finished product and working right from back, easy effort and very little spillage

Here are my markers for now. Getting better backing it in.

Offline SteveW

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 05:20:23 PM »
Made some top pieces for a fitted canvas cover. Pretty happy and I think it will work out o.k. Might have to do some sanding but will wait until I have a canvas person look at it and see if I can have top made like I want. Now have 24" inside so that helps.

2x6 southern yellow pine and cut to fit into sockets. each brace had to be custom fit since tub is not exactly brand new now.

scrap wood for middle brace to keep top from sagging and water pooling

Offline SteveW

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 09:40:25 AM »
Making good progress. Had trailer painted to match my jeep. Really good job makes me wish I had done a little better job on body before I took it to paint shop but oh well it's a work trailer

Also wanted something to keep stuff from sliding around and looked at cargo bars. 40" was smallest size I could find and 38" in width at bottom. Went to Lowes this morning and looked like it could be shortened. Easy fix. Took off end pad it was only a hollow rivet. Cut 3" off tube and ratchet piece. Reattached with self tapping screws and works. Very little pressure needed.

Believe I have a good line on getting my fitted cover made so will know next week what it will cost me.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 12:52:30 PM »
Steve,
The cargo bar came from Lowe's?  That looks like a better idea than what I was thinking.

On backing, I read somewhere a technique was to bump the steering wheel back and forth while backing.  Have you tried that?  Wondering if it actually works.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveW

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
I think it is just a matter of backing practice. I worked in a prestress concrete yard out of high school from 1974-78 after I graduated. I was the quality control inspector but also loaded slabs when I did not have anything to check out. We had a really old Ford semi to hook up to trailers that the haul company dropped off and I was decent with that, not a pro by any means. When I worked at the county on traffic signals occasionally had to haul out trencher or the loop cart and with a bucket truck it was pretty tricky. I also had a small 12' jon boat for a while. All of that was years ago so trailers went by the wayside. These things turn so fast you just have to practice. I am going to buy a Toyota Tacoma soon and that will help a lot since I expect to see the trailer. My F150 with 8' bed and I had rear end beefed up to around a 1 ton just can't see it. I also have purchased a K38 cable splice trailer but it is in Ohio and I have not gotten it yet. That will really be fun 8).

Yep the bar was in stock at Lowes in the little vehicle section. Computer said they only had 1 but they had 3.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
... My F150 with 8' bed and I had rear end beefed up to around a 1 ton just can't see it....

Yep the bar was in stock at Lowes in the little vehicle section. Computer said they only had 1 but they had 3.

I see now why you added the marker sticks to help with visibility.   I may have to add that bar on my shopping list.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C