The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Fuel line routing CJ-5/CJ-3b?  (Read 84 times)

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
Fuel line routing CJ-5/CJ-3b?
« on: November 14, 2020, 09:14:37 PM »
I'm hoping the 3b with the f-134 will have the same fuel line routing as my early cj-5....

Attached is a picture of my "rats nest" copper fuel line area and the original wiring harness.

I have a replacement Walck's harness that I'm sorting out and will with any luck install soon.

I'd like to get the fuel line sorted at the same time...

Any pictures or diagrams?

I have the line drawing from the service manual but it doesn't really show the routing around the steering box etc....

Thanks,

Randy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:32:59 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Fuel line routing CJ-5/CJ-3b?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 12:10:29 AM »
Randy,
I hope you will use steel for the tube.  Copper will fail over time. 

There is info on the routing here:
https://cj3b.info/Tech/FuelLine.html

Scott describes it, step by step, and then Don added some images to help visualize.

Initially, that's all I had but wanted to compare from another good source:

http://www.cj3a.info/tech/line.html

Then, I looked at the close up of the clip holding the tube against the hat channel (the ground for the fuel tank) from Lawrence Wade's photos (on 3B Page):

After getting more from Lawrence, (see below) I felt better about attempting the install.  Everything confirmed 3 clips. Welting was around the tube at the gusset clip and up front at the fender clip. 

**IF your tub/hat channels/ fenders are all original, you should be able to find these holes from what these pictures show.**

The way I did it was to tape the nut/front end up to keep it clean then feed it forward.  Once in place I cut just the flare off (removed the long nut - so backwards from Scott's Step 2.) and then slid the welting pieces on first and then the purchased short fitting nut (this way both nuts matched).  Attached to the tank and clipped to the hat channel, I checked the clip placement at the toe board (left it off until flaring complete).  Rechecked the bends, and took one more measurement and added the final flare. I slid the nut all the way out to the new flare and got the final bending done so that it appeared to be sitting where it should.   After that, I attached the last 2 clips, with welting, to the gusset and fender. 

Compare this image of mine to others. Notice I have the flex line cork-screwed to attach to the fuel filter at the pump fitting (not standard).

Below are more attached (from Wade's) to also show the line from the tank fitting forward (stitched together-but shows where clip is), toe board gusset routing, the Z bend around the steering box (this lines it up with the inner fender).  I should mention that I crawled all around to see it from different angles to ensure no part of the tube was touching anything else - any contact other than fittings or clips would cause wear and failure.

Hopefully, you'll be able to plumb yours without too much trouble.

'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Online 1955CJ-5

• Flatfender Master
  • It wasn't always green....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
Thanks for the pictures and links, they are very helpful.

The CJ-5 does not have that body mount gusset where the clip is fastened, but looking further towards the pump there is a broken off clip on the inner fender wall. The hat channel clip is there, and there is another on the body sill where it sits atop the frame, just behind the steering box.

Looking further into the fuel lines I see the one from the pump to the carb is also copper....I may just get a pre-bent set of lines, but it may take more than a little dis-assembly to get them installed....!

If I'm not careful this may turn into another major refurbish project.....:)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:35:15 PM by 1955CJ-5 »
1955 CJ-5, A friend for 58 years....1951 CJ-3A, a new addition. 1929 Model A Ford Closed Cab Pickup...

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 04:28:12 PM »
Apologies.  I thought you were asking about the 3B and hoping they were similar to the CJ-5.  Now I'm reading it may be the other way around!  My bad.  Yes, if you can find clips along the route, it seems logical that's where the tube ought to be.

If you're doing the CJ5, I have a later Service Manual (SM) that covers the -5 and -6.  You're right the diagram doesn't help much.  To me, that diagram even looks like the fuel is pulled out of the top at the sending unit.  I would guess the pump to carb tube to be very similar to the 3B.  I bent my own using 1/4" and it was challenging going around the engine.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C