The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: a universal carb that isn't a india solex. Anybody know about these?  (Read 375 times)

Offline buck toenges

I saw this carb on the jeepsterman web site.  Looks like a carter yf type carb.   https://www.thejeepsterman.com/products/3292-new-fully-universal-carburetor-1950-1971-jeep-and-willys/.  They said it was a brand new carb and not a rebuild.  Anybody know what these are?

Thanks,
Buck

Offline SteveK

• 1950 CJ3A ranch jeep w/ snowplow & F-head
    • View Profile
Re: a universal carb that isn't a india solex. Anybody know about these?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 10:10:44 PM »
I see that Kaiser-Willys has same carb, for $330:    https://www.kaiserwillys.com/new-fully-universal-carburetor-fits-50-71-willys-jeep-with-4-134-f-engine

There's some limited Q & A on there too.  I too would like to know if anyone has experience with this replacement!

The F-Head motor (in my CJ3A) has a Carter YF 964S...which i am struggling with somewhat.  I have read that Solex's aren't wonderful.
-Steve K in Montana

'50 CJ3A w/ F-head motor and Western snowplow
'66 Chev K10
'66 Ford F250
'28 Chev 1T

Offline SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 01:22:39 AM »
So, noone on here has tried one of these?!?  Daytona Universal UN2.  I guess they've made/used them in South America since the 50's.

I read a chat on a Stovebolt Forum, it was fairly positive.  That is, unless if one is a complete Carb Wizard.  Neither me nor my jeep "Clem" are wizards ...we just needs something that works better than this #$%&@# YF964s that is came with..  Too much carb, runs always too rich, floods the motor under load, etc.
-Steve K in Montana

'66 Chev K10
'66 Ford F250
'28 Chev 1T

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 04:09:36 AM »
Hi, sorry I can't help you. I know there is a lot of chat re the Solex but they did fit them to the Hotchkiss and later Mahindra and I have had no problems with mine fitted to my 3A. I have not heard of the new carb you are referring to but I would suggest that if Kaiser are selling them then they should be OK. If, like me, carbs are a bit daunting, then the fact that the Solex and the new unit is simpler than the Carter can't be a bad thing.
Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Online scoutpilot

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 05:58:13 AM »
If you are trying to use the 964 on a Jeep, then yes, you will have problems. It is designed for the Chevy Stovebolt 6. Which motor in which model year Jeep are you using?
Old fashioned service never goes out of style.
http: // www.oldjeepcarbs.freeforums.net

Offline SteveK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 08:47:24 PM »
I have '50 CJ3A with a F-head.  It came with the F-head, no idea of year of the motor (#648830).  And came with the YF964S.  I do not know how well it ever ran with that setup (was barely running when i bot it 3y ago). 
I just ordered a fuel pressure regulator/reducer, to try to tamp down the P (yes, it also came with an electric fuel pump...that is another issue).  That is my last try...then i sell that 964 to a Stovebolter, and maybe try the Daytona Universal UN2, PLUS a mechanical pump.  I found them for $299 from the Daytona supplier directly, plus $20 for the air filter.  Alas, they are now made in Taiwan...only marginally better than China...but there are rebuild kits available.
I have read plenty bad reviews of the Solex carbs...but none for this Universal.
-Steve K in Montana

'66 Chev K10
'66 Ford F250
'28 Chev 1T

Offline Bruce_W

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
The best solution in my mind is to let Scoutpilot build you a YF938SD. Then it will be right, and Made in America 🇺🇸. Im sure he has a core, but if not, I can probably come up with one.
  If youd rather spend your money and take chances on offshore crap, well, its your time and your money.
  And just because K-W sells something does not mean it is good. In fact, to me, it makes it more suspicious. JM$.02.
BW
Until We Jeep Again...........

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
The best solution in my mind is to let Scoutpilot build you a YF938SD. Then it will be right, and Made in America 🇺🇸. I’m sure he has a core, but if not, I can probably come up with one.
  If you’d rather spend your money and take chances on offshore crap, we’ll, it’s your time and your money.
  And just because K-W sells something does not mean it is good. In fact, to me, it makes it more suspicious. JM$.02.
BW

Not a bad idea....

I embraced, long ago, the preference of rebuilding when I could.  I knew the part fit and would work as intended after the needed repairs.  There are stories of having to add other after market components, i.e. electric fuel pumps, regulators, etc. to tweak the system to get it to work. 

But, if you do go with that carb, let us know how it works for you!
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline SteveKfl

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 11:54:44 AM »
Just the label "universal" means "compromises" to me.  "Compromise" means "something is not right, but merely close to acceptable", to me.  Not all engines will perform the same, especially if other conditions vary from the "established standard", at least in my mind.  I agree with Rus and Bruce, seek help from Scott P, an established "Willys carb expert" with a track record to support that title, IMO.  As Rus said, if you go the "universal" route, please let us all know of your experience.  Technology changes, and maybe there is a new product out there that works as good as the old "renewed", or maybe even better.  We should never be "too old to learn new tricks/products".  Good Luck! 
My Concept Roadster
62 DJ3A Dispatcher Half Top

Offline PercyUK

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 09:09:07 AM »
It seems that I am in the minority here and must be the only person who does not have a problem with the Solex, which my 3a originally came with.  I am definitely in favour of keeping any jeep stock, if at all possible, and would always favour the rebuild option first. 
I agree, don't go for the "off shore crap" like Solex,  they were used by Porsche and Mercedes, amongst others, and we all know what poor engineers the Germans are.
 Good luck with  whichever option you choose.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:25:39 PM by PercyUK »

Offline SteveK

• View Profile
After much consideration, feedback, research...i finally bought a Universal UN2 Carb direct from the US supplier/importer: Daytona ($299+$20 for aircleaner +$25 s&h). 

Installed the shiny thang a week ago. Pretty easy to install, very minimal modification required.  All i had time to do was roughly adjust it by ear (the instructions are to adjust lo/hi jets at 500rpm then 2000rpm w/ a tach, which i don't have).  Then i took off snowplowing for 2+ hours.  All seems fine, tho' i had to re-set where the fuel filter sits, as it was vapor-locking (i think) when fuel got too hot from filter sitting on the block btwn the heater hose and valve cover gasket (duh!) (remember i have an F-head).

So Clem runs better already.  (Hopefully as good as a YF938 would!)  I will keep y'all posted.  Will start a new thread, once i get it properly adjusted to spec, to report on performance.

If it doesn't work out, i will swap it for the good olde 938...  Anyone wanna buy a yf964??
-Steve K in Montana

'66 Chev K10
'66 Ford F250
'28 Chev 1T