The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Koenig 51 single stick pto  (Read 175 times)

Offline ZekeD

Koenig 51 single stick pto
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »
Can you heat treat a Koenig 51 pto shifter?     My single stick fork looks more like a Y than a U.   I am reluctant to bend it back to shape more than once.   Can I heat it and then quench.?   Are there any single sticks for sale?

Thanks
Zeke
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Koenig 51 single stick pto
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 11:16:45 PM »
Can you heat treat a Koenig 51 pto shifter?     My single stick fork looks more like a “Y” than a “U”.   I am reluctant to bend it back to shape more than once.   Can I heat it and then quench.?   Are there any single sticks for sale?

Zeke,
I don't have the best track record on these things.  I'd wonder why it was bent.  Did you get it like that or has it spread since you've been using it? 
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline ZekeD

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:35:23 AM »
It came that way.......    the box was stiff and someone strong armed it I think.     Shifts much better now
The most affectionate thing in the world is a wet dog.

Offline oldtime

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
Best to heat steel to a dull red before bending. That way you can bend it very many times before metal fatigue starts in.
No practical way to heat treat it. Its a mild steel and the only thing you could try is to case harden it. Apparently if was strong armed a lot. If should not ever deform n
Under normal circumstance.

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 01:12:43 PM »
Best to heat steel to a dull red before bending. That way you can bend it very many times before metal fatigue starts in.
No practical way to heat treat it. It’s a mild steel and the only thing you could try is to case harden it. Apparently if was strong armed a lot. If should not ever deform n
Under normal circumstance.

There ya go.  So Ken, you just let it air cool after bending?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline oldtime

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »
Yeah in this case were talking about a mild low carbon steel. So it will not heat treat unless its case  hardened. Air cool after heat bending is technically best in this case so the steel molecules are not put under the extra stress from quickly quenching the steel. If you are in a hurry let it air cool for a minute then quench it. If you cannot get it to a full of medium red then you can simply bend it cold.
The heat is to be localized and it simply allows the molecules to move about more readily.