The CJ3A Page CJ3B.info

Author Topic: Flywheel resurface or not?  (Read 243 times)

Offline LKap

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Jeep Fanatic
    • View Profile
Flywheel resurface or not?
« on: August 22, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »
Had to replace the ring gear so I figure while Iím in there better get a new clutch disk. Old one was a bit worn but not too bad. I got this 3a about 6 years ago and have no clutch issues so Iím guessing it was replaced sometime in the not so distant past. Do I need to resurface this flywheel before installing the new clutch disk?

Offline Rus Curtis

Re: Flywheel resurface or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 05:02:22 PM »
Lkap,
Not an expert here, but outside the clutch contact area shouldn't be an issue.  The clutch area to me, looks like it may have some spots on it.  Necessary?  In a pinch, no.  It will drive.  But, there may be some clutch engagement issues, i.e. hard spots - perhaps similar to brakes that need the rotor or drum turned. 

I personally, would also replace the pilot bushing and throwout bearing if you're in there already.  They may last another 10 years or may fail in two months.
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline LKap

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Jeep Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 05:42:59 PM »
Thanks Rus. Iím in no rush so Iím gonna get it resurfaced. I did get a new throw out bearing from Walcks and it was junk. I pressed it on gently in my hydraulic press and after it was very hard to turn and was kind of grinding. It took it off and put the old one back on. Spins smoothly so I might keep it. The bushing seems on inspection as well. How to tell if itís worn?

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 09:12:14 PM »
Quote from: LKap
How to tell if it’s worn?
I don't know.  I've never seen one worn out but......

I've read a couple of places and have been told by others with more experience that this isn't to fix a problem, it's to avoid going in twice (when you already had it open).

https://www.cj3b.info/Tech/T90PilotBushing.html
https://www.cj3b.info/Tech/Clutch.html
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/signs-of-worn-out-pilot-bushing_topic47756.html?KW=worn+pilot+bushing

Your back-peddling on the aftermarket throwout bearing is very understanding.  We are having to deal with cheaper parts that can fail or not work right out of the box. Can you not source one locally?
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline LKap

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Jeep Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »
So I went out and put the flywheel (with the pilot bushing still in) on the transmission shaft. It was waaaay loose!!!  The shaft measures .624 and the inside of the bushing was .639! I'm going to order a new pilot bushing and throw out bearing from walcks. Hopefully the new bearing will be ok.  I plan to have the machine shop team the pilot bearing at the same time they resurface the flywheel.
Not sure where I would locally source a throw out bearing other than my LAPS?  Would autozone/oreillys have these in stock??

Offline Rus Curtis

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 10:24:31 PM »
I plan to have the machine shop team the pilot bearing at the same time they resurface the flywheel.
Not sure where I would locally source a throw out bearing other than my LAPS?  Would autozone/oreillys have these in stock??

The machine shop should make short work of it....

I'm not sure.  What I read (and have even experienced a time or two) is youngsters on the computer looking up parts behind the counter sometimes can't find older parts.  I've always tried to find an older shop with someone working there for a long time that still has paper books to look up parts. 

Others here on the forum may be able to suggest an internet source that would be good.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:15:59 AM by Rus Curtis »
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Offline LKap

• Project Jeep (Newbie)
  • Jeep Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 11:31:50 PM »
Thanks again. Excellent advice.